Where do high energy background photons go?

In summary, the temperature of the expanding Universe is cooler and cooler. The most contribution of energy of background photons (CMB) are of photons having energy ~3kT. Then where have the high energy background photons gone? They haven't gone anywhere - they were redshifted (i.e. lost energy) and now we observe them as the 2.7K blackbody spectrum. I presume the next question is - given energy cannot be created or destroyed, where did it go? I think that it changes to gravitation energy.
fxdung
The temperature of expanding Universe is cooler and cooler.The most contribution of energy of background photons(CMB) are of photons having energy ~3kT.Then where have the high energy background photons gone?

Space news on Phys.org
They haven't gone anywhere - they were redshifted (i.e. lost energy) and now we observe them as the 2.7K blackbody spectrum.

I presume the next queistion is - given energy cannot be created or destroyed, where did it go?

I think that it changes to gravitation energy. Do the curved degree of space-time(or the metric) change while the Universe expanding?But I do not understand the problem because when the Universe expands the matter density decrease,then the space-time is flater and flater, then why we have the gravity energy increase to conserve total energy?

Last edited:
Energy is not conserved in an expanding universe. In fact, it is not necessarily true that it is possible to define global energy conservation in GR.

Likes mfb
What is Dark Matter(and Dark Energy? Does it contribute to Einstein equation or not?Is there any expansion in GR when we consider Dark Matter(and Dark Energy)?

fxdung said:
What is Dark Matter(and Dark Energy? Does it contribute to Einstein equation or not?Is there any expansion in GR when we consider Dark Matter(and Dark Energy)?
Those are way too general questions if you want more than yes/no answers and also off-topic in this thread.

We do not know. Yes. Yes.

Chronos said:
I presume the next queistion is - given energy cannot be created or destroyed, where did it go?

It did not go anywhere. The photons did not lose energy. In some sense, for the observer who saw them emitted, they still have the same high energy they had when they were emitted - they are just very far away from that observer now.
They have much lower energy in _our_ coordinate system. IOW: the redshift is an *apparent* loss of energy, caused by photons being observed in constantly changing choice of coordinate system.

nikkkom said:
In some sense, for the observer who saw them emitted, they still have the same high energy they had when they were emitted - they are just very far away from that observer now.
No, this is not true in any way. It is not even clear what would be meant by such a statement in a curved space-time.

nikkkom said:
The photons did not lose energy.
They did if you consider the comoving frame, which is the one most commonly used. It is a frame dependent issue though. The total energy of the universe is not well defined.

nikkkom said:
They have much lower energy in _our_ coordinate system. IOW: the redshift is an *apparent* loss of energy, caused by photons being observed in constantly changing choice of coordinate system.
You seem to be thinking of Doppler shift. Although it is the same basic idea, you cannot view what happens in a general space time as a Doppler shift due to relative motion of the observer and source other than locally. Also, observations have nothing to do with your choice of coordinate system. Observables are invariants.

Likes Fervent Freyja
We live in a universe that is often bizarre observationally, although it always seems to prove to be logically consistent. I am a big fan of the logically consistent part because it offers hope we may someday figure out exactly how it works. I deeply suspect it is very simple on a basic level. All those 'out there' theories are mostly mathematical artifacts, IMO.

Likes Fervent Freyja

Related to Where do high energy background photons go?

1. What are high energy background photons?

High energy background photons are photons with high frequencies and short wavelengths, typically in the X-ray or gamma ray range. They are produced by various astrophysical sources such as black holes, supernovae, and active galactic nuclei.

2. Where do these high energy background photons come from?

High energy background photons can come from a variety of sources, including cosmic rays interacting with gas and dust in the interstellar medium, the decay of radioactive elements, and the acceleration of charged particles by magnetic fields in astrophysical objects.

3. How are high energy background photons detected?

High energy background photons are typically detected using specialized instruments such as X-ray telescopes or gamma ray detectors. These instruments are designed to detect and measure the energy and direction of incoming photons.

4. What happens to high energy background photons when they are absorbed?

When high energy background photons are absorbed, they transfer their energy to the absorbing material, causing it to heat up or produce secondary particles. This process is known as photoelectric effect and is used in X-ray imaging and spectroscopy.

5. Where do high energy background photons go after they are absorbed?

After being absorbed, high energy background photons can either be re-emitted at lower energies or their energy can be dissipated as heat. In some cases, they can also produce secondary particles through the photoelectric effect or pair production.