Where Do Chords of Circles Through A(3,7) and B(6,5) Intersect?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary: That works fine. Note that for my example with -4 instead of -5 there is no solution to the pair of... equations. :o
Saitama

Homework Statement

Consider a family of circles passing through two fixed points A(3,7) and B(6,5). Show that the chords in which the circle ##x^2+y^2-4x-6y-3=0## cuts the members of the family are concurrent at a point. Find the coordinates of this point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The family of circles passing through the two given points is given by:
$$(x-1)(x-6)+(y-7)(y-5)+\lambda \left|
\begin{array}{c c c}
x & y & 1\\
3 & 7 & 1\\
6 & 5 & 1\\
\end{array}
\right|=0$$
I am completely clueless about the next step.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
An obvious first step would be to multiply out that last equation to the form [itex]x^2+ y^2+ ax+ by + c= 0[/itex], in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex], then solve that equation together with [itex]x^2+ y^2- 4x- 6y- 3= 0[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
An obvious first step would be to multiply out that last equation to the form [itex]x^2+ y^2+ ax+ by + c= 0[/itex], in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex], then solve that equation together with [itex]x^2+ y^2- 4x- 6y- 3= 0[/itex].

I don't think that would be a good idea (I did think of this initially but looking at the equations formed, I left the approach).

Rewriting the last equation, I get:
$$x^2+y^2+x(2\lambda-9)+y(3\lambda-12)+53-27\lambda=0$$

Looks like it won't be easy to solve this way. Any other ideas?

[STRIKE]Maybe I made an error, but it doesn't seem to be true. Are you sure you've quoted all the constants correctly?[/STRIKE]
Anyway, I suggest simplifying the equations by a few shifts in co-ordinates. You can universally replace x by x+2 and y by y+3 to centre the fixed circle on the origin. Next, you can similarly apply any affine shift to lambda without affecting anything (adding 2 looks good).
For the intersection between the fixed circle and any of the family, you can arrange to eliminate the quadratics. What do you think the resulting linear equation represents?

Edit: Error found.

Last edited:
Hi haruspex! :)

haruspex said:
[STRIKE]Maybe I made an error, but it doesn't seem to be true. Are you sure you've quoted all the constants correctly?[/STRIKE]
Anyway, I suggest simplifying the equations by a few shifts in co-ordinates. You can universally replace x by x+2 and y by y+3 to centre the fixed circle on the origin. Next, you can similarly apply any affine shift to lambda without affecting anything (adding 2 looks good).
For the intersection between the fixed circle and any of the family, you can arrange to eliminate the quadratics. What do you think the resulting linear equation represents?

Edit: Error found.

Finding out the common chord didn't hit me, thanks a lot! :)

But I think there is no need of shifting the origin. The common chord for the fixed circle and the family is given by:
$$(2\lambda-5)x+(3\lambda-6)y+56-27\lambda=0$$
This is a family of straight lines concurrent at a point. Substituting ##\lambda=2## and ##\lambda=5/2## gives the desired point.

Thanks a lot haruspex! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Hi haruspex! :)

Finding out the common chord didn't hit me, thanks a lot! :)

But I think there is no need of shifting the origin. The common chord for the fixed circle and the family is given by:
$$(2\lambda-5)x+(3\lambda-6)y+56-27\lambda=0$$
This is a family of straight lines concurrent at a point. Substituting ##\lambda=2## and ##\lambda=5/2## gives the desired point.

Thanks a lot haruspex! :smile:

You're welcome. It wasn't obvious to me there was a common point without making the substitutions. How did you show it?

haruspex said:
You're welcome. It wasn't obvious to me there was a common point without making the substitutions. How did you show it?

I rewrite the linear equation as:
$$-5x-6y+56+\lambda(2x+3y-27)=0$$
I don't see what else it can represent except the family of lines concurrent at a point. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
I rewrite the linear equation as:
$$-5x-6y+56+\lambda(2x+3y-27)=0$$
I don't see what else it can represent except the family of lines concurrent at a point. :confused:
OK, but by what reasoning?
E.g. ##-4x-6y+56+\lambda(2x+3y-27)=0## does not represent a family of lines concurrent at a point.

haruspex said:
E.g. ##-4x-6y+56+\lambda(2x+3y-27)=0## does not represent a family of lines concurrent at a point.

I am not sure how to give a reason. This is what I think:

Let
##L_1: -5x-6y+56=0##
##L_2: 2x+3y-27=0##

The point of intersection of these two lines is ##(2,23/3)##. Any line represented by ##L_1+\lambda L_2=0##, where ##\lambda## is a parameter, obviously passes through (2,23/3). Is this enough or should I add something more?

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure how to give a reason. This is what I think:

Let
##L_1: -5x-6y+56=0##
##L_2: 2x+3y-27=0##

The point of intersection of these two lines is ##(2,23/3)##. Any line represented by ##L_1+\lambda L_2=0##, where ##\lambda## is a parameter, obviously passes through (2,23/3). Is this enough or should I add something more?
That works fine. Note that for my example with -4 instead of -5 there is no solution to the pair of equations.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Note that for my example with -4 instead of -5 there is no solution to the pair of equations.

Yes, I did notice that. Thank you very much haruspex! :)

haruspex said:

Oh hey dude you've got it wrong. They are two parallel lines they don't intersect at a point they can never represent a family of lines passing through their intersection point.

TheScholarAM said:
Oh hey dude you've got it wrong. They are two parallel lines they don't intersect at a point they can never represent a family of lines passing through their intersection point.
The concept here is that a line passes through the intersection of 2 lines of the point satisfies the equation of the line right. It is always of the form L1+xL2 as every line represented by this equation has the same common root as the intersection point that satisfies it. Hope you get a better picture of it now.

TheScholarAM said:
they don't intersect at a point
Isn’t that what I wrote?

Likes SammyS

Related to Where Do Chords of Circles Through A(3,7) and B(6,5) Intersect?

1. What is the "Family of Circles problem"?

The "Family of Circles problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the equation of a circle that passes through a given set of points on a plane. The goal is to find a general solution that can be applied to any set of points.

2. What is the significance of the "Family of Circles problem"?

The "Family of Circles problem" has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can help in designing curves, optimizing shapes, and solving geometric problems.

3. What is the history behind the "Family of Circles problem"?

The "Family of Circles problem" was first proposed by the French mathematician and physicist, Gaspard Monge, in the late 1700s. It was later studied by other mathematicians such as Karl Frederich Gauss and Leonhard Euler.

4. What are some techniques used to solve the "Family of Circles problem"?

Some techniques used to solve the "Family of Circles problem" include the method of substitution, the method of elimination, and the method of determinants. These techniques involve manipulating the equations of the circles and the given points to find a solution.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the "Family of Circles problem"?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of the "Family of Circles problem". Some examples include designing satellite orbits, creating smooth curves in computer graphics, and calculating the path of a projectile. It can also be used in GPS technology and navigation systems.