Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Where did the "New Posts" link go?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Hi,

I used a lot the "New Posts" link at the top of the page under the "Forum," "Activity" etc. tabs. Now it is gone, say, when I view the content of some subforum. There are the following links only: "FAQ," "Community," "Quick Links," "My Posts" and "Unanswered Threads." However, if I search for something, there is the "New Posts" link on the search results page.

How do you check for new content, and is it possible to bring the "New Posts" link back?

Thank you.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi,

I used a lot the "New Posts" link at the top of the page under the "Forum," "Activity" etc. tabs. Now it is gone, say, when I view the content of some subforum. There are the following links only: "FAQ," "Community," "Quick Links," "My Posts" and "Unanswered Threads." However, if I search for something, there is the "New Posts" link on the search results page.

How do you check for new content, and is it possible to bring the "New Posts" link back?

Thank you.
Hello Evgeny Makarov!

Yesterday I removed some links in the navigation menu to reduce clutter and functions that were almost the same thing. Have you tried the Activity Stream? It is very similar to New Posts but gives some more information about each post. I was curious as to whether anyone used the New Posts button so appreciate your feedback. Please consider the option mentioned above and if you just don't like it I can add the New Posts link back.

As a general comment, there isn't any need for more than one link in that area to show new/latest/today's posts and latest posts by definition will show the other two categories. We don't have to use the Activity Stream option but we should all somehow choose one option to use in the future. The default navigation menu is a mess and takes a while to learn if a new user even notices it. It might be strange at first but I think by rearranging and removing those links the result will function more efficiently for everyone.

Jameson

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
OK, I'll try the Activity Stream. One advantage of the New Posts is that it does not show the same thread several times if there have been several posts in it lately. Also, I liked the table format of the New Posts output (edit: especially the fact that the thread title was the first column) as opposed to the activity stream, which is more like free text.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I've added the New Posts link back where it was. I need to think of a good solution for this because that space could be used for more unique content to MHB than various searches which are. Maybe I can make the "Activity" tab into a drop down menu with various search options.