Fermat's Last Theorem ( Nobody Understands Me )

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Andrew Wiles is a renowned mathematician who has made significant contributions to the field of elliptic curves and modular forms. While his current research is not publicly known, it is likely that he is still working in this field. He is also famous for proving Fermat's Last Theorem, but he did not publicly announce his work on it.
Entropia
Fermat's Last Theorem ("Nobody Understands Me")

http://www.theonion.com/onion3526/nobody_understands_me.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
andrew wiles

does somebody know where may i find out about wiles' current work in research? (on the web ofcourse).

thanks.

For Fermat's Last Theorem (including Wile's work) here is a good place to start:
http://cgd.best.vwh.net/home/flt/flt01.htm [Broken]

Of course, I don't know what Wile's CURRENT research is on!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot see why he would have removed himself from the field of elliptic curves and modular forms, considering he is probably the most capable person in the world in this field, and certainly the most famous and respected. He has devoted much of his life to this area also.

Having said that, he didn't tell anyone he was working on Fermat's last theorem, why should he advertise his other work?

What is Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a mathematical theorem proposed by Pierre de Fermat in 1637. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2. In other words, there are no whole number solutions to this equation.

Why is Fermat's Last Theorem significant?

Fermat's Last Theorem is significant because it is one of the most famous and long-standing problems in mathematics. It has been studied and attempted to be solved by many mathematicians over the centuries, and its proof was finally provided in 1994 by Andrew Wiles.

What is the proof for Fermat's Last Theorem?

The proof for Fermat's Last Theorem is a complex and lengthy mathematical proof that involves many advanced concepts such as elliptic curves, modular forms, and Galois representations. Andrew Wiles spent years working on the proof and it has been reviewed and accepted by the mathematical community.

Why is it called "Nobody Understands Me"?

Fermat's Last Theorem is also known as "Nobody Understands Me" because of a note written by Pierre de Fermat in the margin of his copy of the book "Arithmetica" by Diophantus. He claimed to have a proof for the theorem that was too large to fit in the margin, but never actually provided the proof or any further explanation.

What are some real-world applications of Fermat's Last Theorem?

Fermat's Last Theorem has no direct practical applications. However, the methods and techniques used to prove it have been applied to other areas of mathematics and have led to important developments in number theory and algebraic geometry.