Where Did I Go Wrong with My Hydraulic Car Lift Plot?

In summary, the conversation focuses on determining the force in a hydraulic actuator needed to lift a vehicle of weight W, as well as generating a plot of the ratio of actuator force to vehicle weight as a function of angle θ. Different equations and methods are discussed, but the main focus is on using the equation F/W = cos θ/sinφ to find the desired plot. However, some confusion arises due to the use of radians mode in Excel.
pHysicsN0OB
My plot didn't come out correctly, so I know I did it wrong. Where did I go wrong or was I even close?

1. Homework Statement

The hydraulic car lift shown in Fig 1 will be used to lift a vehicle of weight W. Determine the force in the hydraulic actuator required support the vehicle as a function of angle θ and the weight of the vehicle, W. Neglect the weight of the components of the lift as they will be negligible with respect to the weight of the vehicle. Assume that the weight of the vehicle is centered between points B and C.

Generate a plot of the ratio of actuator force to vehicle weight (F(actuator)/W) as a function of θ in the range 5 ≤ θ ≤ 60 degrees. If the maximum force the actuator can apply is 24 kip, determine the minimum value of θ that a 4,000 lb vehicle can be lifted from.

caaaaar.jpg

The attempt at a solution
treeeee.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
sinφ/5 = sinθ/A is good. F/W = cos θ/sinφ is good. What's sinφ?

Bystander said:
sinφ/5 = sinθ/A is good. F/W = cos θ/sinφ is good. What's sinφ?

I'm suppose to plug all of this into excel and make a plot with a line curving with θ being between 5 ≤ θ ≤ 60 degrees.

My idea was this:
Plug in θ and get A
A^2=2^2+5^2-2(2)(5)cosθ

Then I'll plug in both θ and A to get Phi.
φ=arcsin[(5sin(θ)/A)]

Then I'll plug θ and φ
F/W = cos θ/sinφ

But when I do that on excel, I don't get a curved line. I get more of an up and down line.

This is what I used in the cells with A2:A57 having the numbers 5 through 60.
=sqrt(2^2+5^2-2*2*5*COS(A2*(180/PI())))
=ASIN((5*SIN(A2*(180/PI())))/B2)
=COS(A2)/SIN(C2)

You've already solved for sin(phi) in terms of theta ---

Bystander said:
sinφ/5 = sinθ/A is good.

you don't have to go 'round Robin Hood's Barn to get it ---

pHysicsN0OB said:
My idea was this:
Plug in θ and get A
A^2=2^2+5^2-2(2)(5)cosθ

φ=arcsin[(5sin(θ)/A)]

Then I'll plug θ and φ
F/W = cos θ/sinφ
(that ain't quite the green of Sherwood Forest, but it'll do) --- forget this --- take what you've already done, substitute for sin(phi), and do the plot --- you'll even know what the shape is supposed to be --- it's a recognizable function.

You mean just go directly with F/W = cos θ/sinφ and leave out this...

Plug in θ and get A
A^2=2^2+5^2-2(2)(5)cosθ
φ=arcsin[(5sin(θ)/A)]

If so, where would I get phi from if I'm only starting with θ?

Rearrange the first equation, sinφ/5 = sinθ/A to isolate sin(phi) --- plug that into F/W = cos(theta)/sin(phi).

Bystander said:
Rearrange the first equation, sinφ/5 = sinθ/A to isolate sin(phi) --- plug that into F/W = cos(theta)/sin(phi).

That's what I did.
Rearrange the first equation
A=sqrt(2^2+5^2-2(2)(5)cosθ)

sinφ/5 = sinθ/A to isolate sin(phi)
φ=arcsin[(5sin(θ)/A)]
should there be a parenthesis between 5 and sin?

plug that into F/W = cos(theta)/sin(phi)

F/W = cosθ/sinφ

Unless I'm typing it wrong in excel
A2=5
B2=sqrt(2^2+5^2-2*2*5*COS(A2*(180/PI())))
C2=ASIN((5*SIN(A2*(180/PI())))/B2) should there be a parenthesis between 5 and sin?
D2=COS(A2)/SIN(C2)

sin(phi) = (1/5A) sin(theta); F/W = 5A cot(theta).

I am also stuck on this problem. :( And I am confused why you say that Fcx = 0 for either diagram Fb has an x force and Ex does too. Or maybe I am too tired to think straight.

Last edited:
Did you know that anytime you put something into excel it puts you into radians mode? Opps! I did see that you made that correction for Excel. sorry.

Last edited:
Bystander said:
sin(phi) = (1/5A) sin(theta); F/W = 5A cot(theta).

I tried 3 ways and I still don't get a good curve.
cppp.png

Related to Where Did I Go Wrong with My Hydraulic Car Lift Plot?

What is a hydraulic car lift?

A hydraulic car lift is a device used to raise vehicles off the ground for maintenance, repairs, or storage. It uses hydraulic fluid to apply force and lift the vehicle, similar to how a hydraulic jack works.

How does a hydraulic car lift work?

A hydraulic car lift works by using hydraulic fluid to transmit force from one point to another. The lift has a pump that pressurizes the fluid, which then moves through a series of tubes and cylinders to lift the car. When the pump is activated, the fluid is forced into a cylinder, which then pushes a piston upwards, and that lifts the car.

What are the advantages of using a hydraulic car lift?

One of the main advantages of a hydraulic car lift is its ability to lift heavy vehicles with ease. It also offers precise control over the height of the lift, making it easier to work on different parts of the vehicle. Hydraulic car lifts also require less maintenance and have a longer lifespan compared to other types of lifts.

Are there any safety concerns when using a hydraulic car lift?

While hydraulic car lifts are generally safe to use, there are a few safety considerations to keep in mind. It is important to ensure that the lift is on a stable and level surface, and that the vehicle is properly positioned on the lift. Regular maintenance and inspection of the lift are also crucial to prevent any accidents.

Can a hydraulic car lift be used for all types of vehicles?

Hydraulic car lifts come in different sizes and weight capacities, so it is essential to choose the right lift for the type of vehicle you will be working on. Some lifts are specifically designed for cars, while others can accommodate larger vehicles like trucks and SUVs. It is important to check the weight capacity and dimensions of the lift before use to ensure safety.