Where did i go wrong in fudingin the temperature of the gold cube?

In summary, the gold cube will reach a temperature of 63 degrees Celsius after being connected to the capacitor for 0.27885 seconds.
yjk91

Homework Statement

A cube of gold (resistivity ?R = 2.44 10-8 O m, density ?D = 1.93 104 kg / m3, and specific heat c = 129 J / kg °C) that is 3.5 mm on a side is connected across the terminals of a 40-µF capacitor that initially has a potential difference of 340.0 V between its plates.

http://www.webassign.net/bauerphys1/26-p-052.gif

(b) When the capacitor is fully discharged, what is the temperature of the gold cube? (Use 20°C for room temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

i found R = p L /A

and got 0.69714 * 10^-5 ohm

Q = C *V = 40 *10^-6 * 340 V = 136 * 10^-4 C

I = V/R = 340 / (0.69714 * 10^-5) = 487.7066 * 10^5 A

time t = Q/I = 136*10^-4 / (487.706*10^5) = 0.27885 * 10^-9s

E = V^2t/R = 340^2(0.27885*10e-9) / 0.69714e-5
= 4.6239 J

m = density * volume = 1.93 * 10e4 * 3.5*e-3^3 =82.74875e-5 kg

E = mc delta T

T = E/(mc) = 4.6239 / (82.74875e-5*129) = 43

Tf = 43+20= 63mm where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're taking the long way around to calculate the energy deposited in the gold, and there are some assumptions being made that look somewhat dubious.

Why don't you assume that all the energy initially stored in the capacitor will be dumped into the gold (the capacitor will have zero charge, thus zero energy when its fully discharged, so that energy must have gone into heating the gold).

Given the capacitance and voltage, what's the energy stored in the capacitor?

sweet i got it thx

gneill said:
You're taking the long way around to calculate the energy deposited in the gold, and there are some assumptions being made that look somewhat dubious.

Why don't you assume that all the energy initially stored in the capacitor will be dumped into the gold (the capacitor will have zero charge, thus zero energy when its fully discharged, so that energy must have gone into heating the gold).

Given the capacitance and voltage, what's the energy stored in the capacitor?

hey Gneli
could you help me with this problem? i just need a place to start and some guidance

thank you
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3419623#post3419623

There are a few potential errors in your calculation. First, when calculating the resistance (R), you used the wrong units for length (L). The correct units should be meters (m), not millimeters (mm). This would change your value for R to 0.69714 x 10^-8 ohm, which would then affect all subsequent calculations.

Additionally, the value for current (I) that you calculated is incorrect. The correct value should be 340 / (0.69714 x 10^-8) = 487.7066 x 10^-5 A. This would then change the value for time (t) to 0.27885 x 10^-6 s and the value for energy (E) to 4.6239 x 10^-6 J.

Another potential error is in your calculation of mass (m). The correct units for volume should be cubic meters (m^3), not cubic millimeters (mm^3). This would change your value for mass to 82.74875 x 10^-9 kg.

Finally, when calculating the final temperature (Tf), you used the incorrect value for specific heat (c). The correct value should be 129 J / kg K, not 129 J / kg °C. This would change your final value for temperature to 53 K.

In summary, to correct your calculation, you would need to use the correct units for length, volume, and specific heat, and make sure to use the correct value for current.

Related to Where did i go wrong in fudingin the temperature of the gold cube?

1. Where did I go wrong in measuring the temperature of the gold cube?

There are a few potential areas where you could have made a mistake in measuring the temperature of the gold cube. First, make sure you are using a reliable and accurate thermometer. Additionally, ensure that the thermometer is properly calibrated and that you are taking the temperature in the correct location on the cube. Finally, double-check your calculations to make sure you didn't make any errors.

2. Why is the temperature of the gold cube different than what I expected?

There are several factors that could contribute to a difference between the expected temperature and the actual temperature of the gold cube. These include environmental factors, such as changes in temperature or air flow, as well as the properties of the gold itself. Conducting multiple measurements and analyzing the data can help determine the cause of the discrepancy.

3. Is it possible that the gold cube is not conducting heat properly?

Yes, it is possible that the gold cube is not conducting heat properly. Gold is known for its high thermal conductivity, but if the cube is not pure gold or has impurities or defects, it may not conduct heat as well. Additionally, the shape and surface area of the cube can also affect its ability to conduct heat evenly.

4. Could I have caused an error in the temperature reading by touching the gold cube?

Yes, touching the gold cube can affect the temperature reading. Your body heat can transfer to the cube, causing a slight increase in temperature. Additionally, if you are holding the thermometer, your hand's warmth can also impact the reading. It's best to handle the gold cube with gloves or tweezers to avoid any temperature changes.

5. How can I ensure more accurate temperature measurements in the future?

To ensure more accurate temperature measurements, it's essential to have the right equipment and follow proper techniques. Use a reliable and calibrated thermometer, make sure the environment is stable, and take multiple measurements at different locations on the cube to get an average reading. It's also helpful to have a control sample for comparison and to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistency.