How to perform factorial operation

• Thread starter On Radioactive Waves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of factorials and the Gamma function, which is equivalent to taking factorials for real numbers. It is mentioned that factorials only work for natural numbers and that the Gamma function is defined by an integral with a negative exponential. There is also a discussion about the properties and values of the Gamma function, including its recurrence relation and poles. The original question was about solving for x in the equation x=(5/6)!. However, it is clarified that this is not a factorial, but rather a sum that can be calculated on certain calculators. The conversation ends with the realization that this is a simple problem and thanking everyone for their input.
On Radioactive Waves
I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but here it goes.

Could someone explain how I would go about solving for x of x=(5/6)!

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe that factorials aren't defined for nonintegers. Perhaps the intent is 5!/6!, which would be 1/6.

Factorials only work for natural numbers, so 5/6 does not have a factorial.

There is a function that is equivalent to taking factorials that works on real numbers (maybe just positive reals, it's been a while) as well. I believe it is the Gamma function.
Njorl

The Gamma function is defined by Γ(z) = ∫0oo tz-1dt

It has the property that n! = Γ(n+1).

This isn't going to be a lot of help in solving the equation though.

You can only take the factorial of a postive integer, thus Γ(n+1) = n! is only true when n is a postive integer.

Actually just done some research, using the gamma function you can find values for half-integrals.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
The Gamma function is defined by Γ(z) = ∫0oo tz-1dt

There is a small, yet important omission here. The definition includes a negative exponential:

Γ(z) = ∫0oo tz-1e-tdt

The exponential is important because it makes the integral converge for almost all values of z (the exponential goes to zero much faster than the growth of tz-1).

In particular, for what you want, you can obtain the value as

(5/6)! = Γ(5/6 + 1) = ∫0oot(5/6+1)-1e-tdt

Mathworld has a nice entry for the Gamma function. In the plot, you can see that the value for Γ(1+5/6) = Γ(1.833) is slightly less than one.

Woops! Sorry. You are actually right. BTW the z in the definition is a complex variable, and the Γ function is meromorphic (it has poles at 0 and negative integers, but is otherwise analytic). And with that proviso, we have the recurrence relation Γ(z+1) = zΓ(z).

In the half plane of complex numbers with real part > 1, it can be defined by Γ(z-1) = π/(Γ(z)sin(πz)) = πz/(Γ(1+z)sin(πz)).

Oops, my bad.

I've looked at the mathworld site, many time actually.

It turns out this problem stems back a few years, and I just realized its not factorial I'm actually wondering about (tried it on my TI-89)

Okay, here is there real problem then. My calculator will give sums for negative numbers and fractions, and I was confused about that.

This is actually a lot less confusing than i thought. Thanks for the input everyone. I remembered wrong:frown: but hey its been a while.

1. What is a factorial operation?

A factorial operation is a mathematical operation that calculates the product of all positive integers from 1 to a given number. It is denoted by an exclamation mark (!) after the number. For example, 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How is a factorial operation performed?

To perform a factorial operation, you need to start with the given number and multiply it by all the positive integers that come before it, until you reach 1. For example, to calculate 6!, you would multiply 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 720.

3. What is the difference between a factorial operation and an exponentiation operation?

A factorial operation calculates the product of all positive integers from 1 to a given number, while an exponentiation operation calculates the power of a number. For example, 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24, while 4^3 = 4 x 4 x 4 = 64.

4. Are there any limitations to performing a factorial operation?

Yes, there are limitations to performing a factorial operation. The result of a factorial operation can quickly become very large, so it is only practical to perform it for relatively small numbers. Additionally, factorial operations cannot be performed for negative numbers or non-integer numbers.

5. Can a factorial operation be performed using a calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a factorial function that can be used to perform factorial operations. However, it is important to check the instructions or manual of your specific calculator to know how to use this function correctly.