Where can I start learning about moments of inertia?

In summary: The OP said he wanted to start learning about moments of inertia. If you have no knowledge in this area yet, I think the best route would be learning some basics in the subject.
cmkluza

Homework Statement

My question doesn't follow the guidelines for asking for homework help because I'm looking for sources where I can learn about moments of inertia, not help for a specific homework problem. I'm going to try to figure out the moment of inertia of a propeller, but I don't know enough about moments if inertia yet. Where can I learn about this? Thanks for any help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Any basic university physics textbook would help you, I guess...

Last edited:
vinicius0197 said:
Any basic universitary physics textbook would help you, I guess...
I'm not sure what a 'universitary' physics textbook is, but figuring out the moment on inertia of a complex mechanism, like a propeller, by calculation is generally avoided, unless there is already a numerical description of the blades, hub, etc. Most complex mechanisms have their moments of inertia determined experimentally, either by mounting the mechanism in a special pendulum and swinging it, or having it rotated by a known moment and measuring how long it takes to start or stop rotating.

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure what a 'universitary' physics textbook is, but figuring out the moment on inertia of a complex mechanism, like a propeller, by calculation is generally avoided, unless there is already a numerical description of the blades, hub, etc. Most complex mechanisms have their moments of inertia determined experimentally, either by mounting the mechanism in a special pendulum and swinging it, or having it rotated by a known moment and measuring how long it takes to start or stop rotating.
Sorry, I meant an 'university' physics texbook...
The OP said he wanted to start learning about moments of inertia. If you have no knowledge in this area yet, I think the best route would be learning some basics in the subject.
But what is your objective in determining the moment of inertia of a propeller? It's a project, a homework? If it's a homework, maybe you could simplify your problem. I've seen some problems that ask you to determine the moment of inertia of rotor blades by simplifying them as rods rotated at the end or maybe as rectangular planes.

Related to Where can I start learning about moments of inertia?

1. What is a moment of inertia?

A moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion and is dependent on an object's mass distribution and shape.

2. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the object's axis of rotation and the mass element.

3. How does moment of inertia differ from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's rotational inertia, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in linear motion. Mass is a scalar quantity, while moment of inertia is a tensor quantity.

4. What are some real-world applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in various engineering fields, such as designing car engines, calculating stress and strain on bridges, and determining the stability of aircraft. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to understand the movements and rotations of the human body.

5. Where can I find resources to learn more about moments of inertia?

There are several resources available for learning about moments of inertia, including textbooks, online tutorials, and educational videos. You can also consult with a physics or engineering professor, or visit a library to find books on the subject.