Where Can I Learn Algebra and Group Theory Outside of School?

• Thread starter LogicalAcid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    8th grade
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to advance in the field of Algebra, despite restrictions from the school. The individual is seeking recommendations for websites and math books to self-study and progress in the subject. It is advised to thoroughly read and work through a textbook and seek help if needed. However, it is also cautioned to not solely focus on one subject and potentially miss out on other important subjects. The suggestion is made to explore other topics, such as group theory, to expand one's knowledge.
LogicalAcid
I want to start getting ahead more in the Algebra field. Problem is, my school is not open to students advancing ahead of where they are supposed to be (knowledge is power). So, what I want to know is some good sites where I can learn Algebra in sort of a lesson pattern, but not having to enroll in anything. Links to good math books that can be bought are helpful as well.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
LogicalAcid said:
I want to start getting ahead more in the Algebra field. Problem is, my school is not open to students advancing ahead of where they are supposed to be (knowledge is power). So, what I want to know is some good sites where I can learn Algebra in sort of a lesson pattern, but not having to enroll in anything. Links to good math books that can be bought are helpful as well.

Knowledge is certainly power, but that doesn't mean it's being witheld from you. Nor does eighth grade define your level. I suggest you try going to a book store and paging through books to see if they're starting with what you know and progressing higher.

Mathhelpforum.com is quite good.

If you want to learn algebra yourself you could get pretty much any elementary (high school level) algebra textbook and go through it (this means thoroughly reading every single word, thinking about them, then working out the exercises) yourself. This is completely doable. If you got stuck on a problem you could get help here in the homework section, if you get stuck on a concept you could ask here in this forum. Your current math teacher should have no problem answering your questions also.

I second JonF's proposal. Just start reading through your assigned textbook, and if you want to advance further in a specific topic then just grab a 9th grade book. You'll only learn maybe one or two new concepts but the problems do get progressively harder.

Oh and by the way, only do this if you really want to progress further in one specific topic (say, algebra) only to indulge your curiosity. Don't do it to try finish 8th/9th grade earlier because I have been down this road myself. It's long and boring when you find yourself starting year 9, not allowed to skip because you might be lacking in other subjects and then the class starts to learn what you already know. Trust me, it's not fun.

Yeah, learning things now that you will learn later isn't going to fun. Maybe you should start learning things that they don't learn you in school. Maybe you could learn yourself group theory? The site http://dogschool.tripod.com/ offers an easy introduction to it. Maybe this is something for you...

Related to Where Can I Learn Algebra and Group Theory Outside of School?

1. What are the new topics I will learn in 8th grade science?

In 8th grade science, you will learn about a variety of topics including chemistry, physics, biology, earth and space science, and engineering. You will also delve deeper into topics you may have learned in previous grades, such as the scientific method and the properties of matter.

2. Will we be doing any hands-on experiments in 8th grade science?

Yes, hands-on experiments are an important part of 8th grade science. You will have the opportunity to conduct experiments, collect data, and analyze results to better understand scientific concepts and principles.

3. Is there a specific science fair project I need to do in 8th grade?

Many schools require 8th grade students to complete a science fair project, but the specific requirements may vary. Your teacher will provide you with guidelines and resources to help you choose a topic and complete your project.

4. What can I do to prepare for high school science courses while in 8th grade?

To prepare for high school science courses, it is important to develop a strong foundation in scientific concepts and skills. You can achieve this by actively participating in class, completing assignments, and studying regularly. You can also explore science outside of the classroom through books, documentaries, and online resources.

5. Will there be opportunities for extra credit in 8th grade science?

Extra credit opportunities may vary depending on your teacher, but it is important to always prioritize your regular assignments and studying before seeking extra credit. If available, extra credit assignments may include additional projects, research, or presentations related to the topics you are learning in class.