Where Can I Learn About Artificial Neural Networks?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a programmer looking for resources to learn about Artificial Neural Networks. The person recommended a book called "AI Techniques for Game Programming" which dedicates a third of its content to neural networks. They also suggested websites such as ai-junkie.com, willamette.edu, and doc.ic.ac.uk which provide theoretical knowledge and practical guidance for creating neural networks. It was also mentioned that constructing a decent neural network requires complex feedback loops and references were given for further reading.
phiby
Hi,
I am a very experienced programmer in C & C++. I want to learn about Artificial Neural Networks. Can someone recommend good books or websites?

Technology news on Phys.org
yeah, I just read a book called ai techniques for game programming. Despite the title, the techniques discussed are very applicable to other types of programming. About 1/3 of the text is dedicated to artificial neural networks.

http://www.ai-junkie.com/ - really simple and straight forward with walk through to create simple feed forward nets using OOP in C++ (also uses genetic algorithms), lacks depth in that it totally skips everything not feed forward (ie backprop)
http://www.willamette.edu/~gorr/classes/cs449/intro.html - a lot of theory
http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_96/journal/vol4/cs11/report.html - even more theory (particularly useful is Appendix B, I thought)

You need complex feedback loops to construct a decent neural net - TylerH gives some good references. It is no trivial task. The US defense department spent millions to devise the guidance system for 'smart' bombs.

Sure! There are several great resources for learning about Artificial Neural Networks. Some popular books include "Neural Networks and Deep Learning" by Michael Nielsen and "Deep Learning" by Yoshua Bengio, Ian Goodfellow, and Aaron Courville. As for websites, I recommend checking out the online courses on Coursera or edX, as well as the official websites for TensorFlow and PyTorch, which are popular libraries for building neural networks. Additionally, there are many online tutorials and blogs that can provide valuable information and insights into the field of Artificial Neural Networks. Happy learning!

Related to Where Can I Learn About Artificial Neural Networks?

What is an Artificial Neural Network?

An Artificial Neural Network (ANN) is a type of machine learning algorithm inspired by the structure and function of biological neural networks in the human brain. It consists of interconnected nodes, or neurons, that process and transmit information in order to perform complex tasks such as pattern recognition, prediction, and decision making.

How does an Artificial Neural Network work?

An Artificial Neural Network works by processing input data through a series of interconnected layers of neurons. Each neuron takes in a weighted sum of inputs, applies an activation function, and then passes its output to the next layer. The weights of the connections between neurons are adjusted through a process called backpropagation, where the network learns from its errors and improves its performance over time.

What are the applications of Artificial Neural Networks?

Artificial Neural Networks have a wide range of applications in fields such as computer vision, natural language processing, and speech recognition. They can be used for tasks such as image and speech recognition, sentiment analysis, fraud detection, and predictive modeling.

What are the advantages of using Artificial Neural Networks?

One of the main advantages of using Artificial Neural Networks is their ability to handle complex and nonlinear relationships between variables. They are also capable of learning and adapting to new data, making them useful for tasks where the data is constantly changing. Additionally, ANNs can be trained on large datasets and can process information in parallel, making them efficient for tasks that require a lot of computation.

What are the limitations of Artificial Neural Networks?

Artificial Neural Networks may have difficulty in interpreting and explaining their decisions, making them less interpretable than other machine learning algorithms. They also require a large amount of training data and can be computationally expensive to train. Additionally, ANNs may suffer from overfitting if they are not properly regularized.