Where can I get voltammetry testing performed?

• Thread starter hobbs125
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary: I have a USB opamp.The electrochemical cell I need to get testing done on (namely cyclic voltammetry) is a problem because I have no idea where to go? Any suggestions? I was thinking of contacting the local State University Chemistry department but I doubt it if they would do testing for someone who is not a student? Voltage/Current curves? I would ask the physics department, too, it looks like this could be done with standard equipment and not too much time.I think I could perform the tests using an oscilloscope. An oscilloscope is a device that can be used to view voltage/current curves. I have a propscope (USB oscilloscope).I am trying to
hobbs125
I have an electrochemical cell I need to get testing done on (namely cyclic voltammetry).

Problem is, I have no idea where to go?

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of contacting the local State University Chemistry department but I doubt it if they would do testing for someone who is not a student?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Voltage/Current curves? I would ask the physics department, too, it looks like this could be done with standard equipment and not too much time.

Hmm, Is there anyway I could perform the tests using an oscilloscope?

I have a propscope (USB oscilloscope).

I am trying to determine the total capacitance (EDL and pseudo) of an electrochemical capacitor.

I doubt you can do it using Osciloscope. however you can make a small setup at low cost using opamp though. All you need to supply some voltage and receive the current while maintaining a potential into the solution using feedback. You need some idea though.

Find some equipment manufacturers and ask if they could perform the work or if they know if any of their customers could. Potentiostats are NOT trivial pieces of equipment that you can cobble together easily.

if you are not looking for too many functionality, yes a simple potentiostat able to do Cyclic voltammetry is NOT a rocket science...But as i said you need some idea ofcourse...if not better look for permission in a nearby laboratory

Hmmm, you need to construct a potentiostat that allows you to control potential, sweep rate and measure tiny currents accurately. I suppose it will need to be sized appropriately for the conductivity of the solution and surface area of the electrodes. I guess your idea of an opamp and mine are a bit different. I prefer to cause it to be done by others more knowledgeable than me.

chemisttree said:
Potentiostats are NOT trivial pieces of equipment that you can cobble together easily.
According to a quick google search, some standard commercial power supplies can be used for that. They are not cheap, but they can be found in many electronics labs. I don't want to advertise manufacturers, however.

Related to Where can I get voltammetry testing performed?

1. What is voltammetry testing?

Voltammetry testing is a scientific method used to measure the current flowing through an electrochemical cell as a function of applied voltage. It is used to study electrochemical reactions and determine the properties of different substances.

2. Where can I get voltammetry testing performed?

Voltammetry testing can be performed in various scientific laboratories, such as universities, research institutions, and private companies. It is important to choose a laboratory that has experience and expertise in conducting voltammetry experiments.

3. How long does voltammetry testing take?

The duration of voltammetry testing can vary depending on the complexity of the experiment and the number of samples being tested. On average, it can take a few hours to a full day to complete the testing process.

4. What samples can be tested using voltammetry?

Voltammetry testing can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. It is commonly used in the analysis of water, pharmaceuticals, metals, and batteries.

5. What are the benefits of voltammetry testing?

Voltammetry testing provides valuable information about the electrochemical properties of a substance, such as its oxidation and reduction potentials, and its concentration. It is a highly sensitive and accurate method, making it useful in a variety of fields, including environmental science, materials science, and analytical chemistry.