Where Can I Find Translated Classical Papers on Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, There are online sources for classical papers, particularly for translations of classical papers in QM, with additional historical or scholarly context. Access to experimental publications can also be useful. Some collections of important papers, such as "Sources of Quantum Mechanics" and "Collected Papers on Wave Mechanics," are available for purchase. Other collections can be found through publishers' lists or online sources.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Put this on another forum if appropriate but I have mostly QM in mind.

Is there an online source for classical papers, and in particular for obviously desirable translations of classical papers, which in QM were often in German? If with historical or scholarly gloss giving additional perspective, so much the better.

My reason for asking is that IMHO textbooks often skimp certain things. There was once advice ‘study the masters, not their pupils’. For instance you are often told very summarily that the wavefunction ψ is to be interpreted as ψ squared is proportional to probability density. Rather like an engineering formula ‘use this, it always gives the right answer’. One would like to know how the originators (Born?) convinced themselves and others of it. I find symmetry and antisymmetry of wavefunctions for 2 particles treated rather the same way, but may make a separate post about that.

Another way I find the textbooks defective is their insincere lipservice to the overriding importance of experiment. It looks as though since the mathematical treatments are such a barrier, books confine themselves to that after which they quickly croak out ‘and this result agrees with experiment’ and race on to the next math treatment. So access to the experimental publications would be useful too.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of important papers are translated and published in collections. One that relates to QM is "Sources of Quantum Mechanics" ed. van der Waerden ( Dover 1968) and still in print. It has papers by Einstein, Heisenberg, Born, Jordan, Pauli, Dirac and others.

I have come across other collections but I don't have details to hand. Publishers lists should be a good start.

You can get quite a few Historic Papers from here: http://home.tiscali.nl/physis/HistoricPaper

It has papers by Einstein, Heisenberg, Born, Jordan, Pauli, Dirac and others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite an original paper, but Dirac's "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics" is worth reading

Erwin Schrodinger, "Collected Papers on Wave Mechanics "
Chelsea Pub Co; 3 Sub edition (April 1982) | ISBN: 0828413029 | 146 pages

This third, augmented edition contains the six original, famous papers in which Schrödinger created and developed the subject of Wave Mechanics as published in the original edition. As the author points out, at the time each paper was written the results of the later papers were largely unknown to him. The papers and lectures in this volume were revised by the author and translated into English, and afford the reader a striking and valuable insight into how Wave Mechanics developed.

Last edited:

Related to Where Can I Find Translated Classical Papers on Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is meant by "access to classical papers"?

"Access to classical papers" refers to the ability to obtain and read scientific papers that have been published in the past. These papers are considered "classical" because they have had a significant impact on the field of science and are often referenced by other researchers.

2. Why is access to classical papers important for scientists?

Access to classical papers is important for scientists because it allows them to understand the historical development and evolution of their field of study. These papers also often contain important foundational knowledge and methods that are still relevant today.

3. How can scientists access classical papers?

Scientists can access classical papers through a variety of methods, including online databases, university libraries, and scientific archives. Some journals also offer access to their archives for a fee.

4. Are all classical papers available for access?

No, not all classical papers are available for access. Some papers may be out of print or only available in physical form, making them more difficult to access. Additionally, some papers may be restricted due to copyright laws.

5. Is there a cost associated with accessing classical papers?

There may be a cost associated with accessing classical papers, depending on the method of access. Some databases and journals may require a subscription or payment for access to their archives. However, there are also some free resources available for accessing classical papers.