Where Can I Find the Structural Damping Coefficient for Tungsten?

In summary, the known information for this problem is the material used, which is tungsten, and its property G7 - Drill. Additional information can be found on different websites for acoustic and mechanical properties. The question is about finding vibration and critical point, as well as information on structural damping coefficient, function of power spectral density, and function of frequency response. Steps have been attempted, but further guidance is needed.
ricky_fusion

Homework Statement

Known :
- Material : Tungsten
- Property : G7 - Drill, you can see the picture in here :
http://www.accuromm.com/drills.html"
- Other information you can find here :
1. http://www.efunda.com/materials/com...m?MatlPhase=Solid&MatlProp=Acoustic#Acoustic"
2. http://www.efunda.com/materials/com...atlPhase=Solid&MatlProp=Mechanical#Mechanical
3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten"

For information : I am newbie about dynamic analysis and before this, I am analysis about static only. Can anyone help me solve this problem?? I am appreciated your helpfull and Iam so sorry to makes you busy.If anyone can tell me about the step by step, it's okay to me. o:)
The question are :
1. I want to looking for Vibration and critical point
2. do you know where I can find Structural Damping Coefficient for Tungsten??
3. How to created fungtion of Power Spectral Density
4. How to created fungtion of Frequency Responce

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration"

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been try this steps, but I am confucing about the next steps. :confused:
1. For Yield Stress =550 MPa, Ultimate Strength = 550-620 MPa (as known in wikipedia)
2. Allowable/Permissible Stress= 0.4 (Yield Stress) = 220 MPa
3. Safety Factor = (ultimate Stress)/(Allowable Stress) = 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
.184. Natural Frequency = (1/2π) √(K/M) 5. Critical Speed = (1/2π) √(K/M) * (1/Safety Factor) 6. Vibration Amplitude = Acceleration/Gravity7. Structural Damping Coefficient ?????8. Function of Power Spectral Density ?????9. Function of Frequency Responce ?????

4. Use this formula to find the critical point : F critical = (pi^2*E*I)/L^2
5. Use the information from the websites provided to find the Young's Modulus (E) and Moment of Inertia (I) for Tungsten.
6. Use the length (L) and critical force (F critical) to find the critical point.
7. To find the vibration, you can use the formula for natural frequency: f = (1/2pi)*sqrt(k/m), where k is the stiffness and m is the mass.
8. Use the information from the websites to find the density of Tungsten and calculate the mass.
9. Use the information from the websites to find the stiffness of Tungsten and plug it into the formula for natural frequency.
10. To find the Structural Damping Coefficient, you can use experimental data or consult a materials handbook that provides this information. Alternatively, you can use the formula for critical damping: c = 2*sqrt(k*m), where k is the stiffness and m is the mass.
11. To create a function for Power Spectral Density, you can use the formula: S = (2*pi*f)^2*F^2, where f is the frequency and F is the amplitude.
12. To create a function for Frequency Response, you can use the formula: H = (1/sqrt((1-(f/fn)^2)^2 + (2*Zeta*f/fn)^2), where fn is the natural frequency, f is the frequency, and Zeta is the damping ratio.

Related to Where Can I Find the Structural Damping Coefficient for Tungsten?

What is vibration analysis?

Vibration analysis is a non-invasive technique used to study the behavior of a structure or machine by analyzing its vibrations. It involves measuring and analyzing the different frequencies and amplitudes of vibrations in order to identify any potential issues or abnormalities.

What are the benefits of vibration analysis?

Vibration analysis can help identify potential issues before they become major problems, allowing for preventative maintenance and reducing downtime. It can also improve equipment reliability, reduce maintenance costs, and increase the overall lifespan of the equipment.

How is vibration analysis performed?

Vibration analysis is typically performed using specialized equipment such as accelerometers, which measure the vibrations of a structure or machine. The data collected is then analyzed using software to identify any patterns or abnormalities in the vibration frequencies and amplitudes.

What are some common applications of vibration analysis?

Vibration analysis is commonly used in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, and power generation. It can be used to monitor the health of rotating machinery, such as pumps, motors, and turbines, as well as structural components such as bridges and buildings.

What are some potential causes of abnormal vibrations in machinery?

Abnormal vibrations in machinery can be caused by a variety of factors, such as unbalanced or misaligned components, worn or damaged bearings, loose or broken parts, or issues with lubrication. Environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also contribute to abnormal vibrations.