Where Can I Find Resources to Supplement My Physics Learning?

• Thread starter jh24628
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for resources to help them with their physics classes, specifically in the areas of fluids and thermal physics and wave motion and quantum physics. The student mentions having a difficult professor and not liking their current textbook. Other participants in the conversation suggest specific textbooks, such as Fluid Dynamics: Theoretical and Computational Approaches, Second Edition, Z.U.A Warsi and Introduction to Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics, Second Edition, Keith Stowe, as well as online resources like MIT's OpenCourseWare and HyperPhysics.
jh24628
i have a lousy physics prof, who cannot teach at all, where can i find stuff to help me out on the internet, or anyone knows any good physics books for fluids and thermal, and wave motion and quantum

Physics news on Phys.org
jh24628 said:
i have a lousy physics prof, who cannot teach at all, where can i find stuff to help me out on the internet, or anyone knows any good physics books for fluids and thermal, and wave motion and quantum

Thats a really broad grouping of areas. What level are these classes? Are you looking for something that surveys all the topics, or separate texts for each one typically used for a whole semester each?

i really just need a good all around general physics book, or what ever anyone else thinks really helped them learn

jh24628 said:
i really just need a good all around general physics book, or what ever anyone else thinks really helped them learn

You're being really vague. I could give you a list of texts on those subjects that I have lying around my room, but I don't think that's what you want. On the off chance it is:

Fluid Dynamics: Theoretical and Computational Approaches, Second Edition, Z.U.A Warsi

Is very, very thorough, its really a graduate text.

Introduction to Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics, Second Edition, Keith Stowe

This one's a favorite of mine, written by one of my professors. Probably one of the clearest textbooks I've ever read.

Not sure if these are what you're looking for since you won't elaborate.

all around general physics book
Fluid Dynamics: Theoretical and Computational Approaches, Second Edition, Z.U.A Warsi
Introduction to Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics, Second Edition, Keith Stowe
I really doubt that they classify as general physics books.
How about Halliday & Resnick?

the book I'm currently using is Fundamentals of physics 7th edition by halliday resnick and walker. and i just don't like the book and haven't liked the book for the previous 3 physics classes that i have taken.

heres a course description of the classes that i could use book sugestions for that i have been trying to explain in my prev posts.

PHYS 213 General Physics: Fluids and Thermal Physics (2)

Calculus-based introduction to the basic concepts of fluids and sound, heat, kinetic theory, and entropy, including such topics as: fluid mechanics and motion, sound Waves: speed, harmonic waves, intensity, temperature and heat: thermal expansion, heat capacity, conduction and radiation, kinetic theory of gases: First Law of Thermodynamics, internal energy of a gas, heat capacities, adiabatic expansion, entropy and the Second Law: concept of equilibrium and entropy, heat engines, efficiency of heat engines and refrigerators, introduction to statistical mechanics.

PHYS 214 General Physics: Wave Motion and Quantum Physics (2)

Calculus-based introduction to the basic concepts of wave motion, geometrical optics, interference phenomena, photons, wave mechanics, and the structure of matter, including such topics as: electromagnetic waves: Poynting Vector, polarization and reflection, geometrical optics: mirrors, refraction, lenses, optical instruments, interference and diffraction, photons and matter waves, energy quantization, structure of matter: hydrogen atom, conduction of electrons in solids, and nuclear physics and nuclear energy.

aaroman said:
I really doubt that they classify as general physics books.
How about Halliday & Resnick?

He said he wanted good books for fluids and thermal physics. Those are the best I've seen. Granted I've not gone through very many thermal books, but I have read through about a half dozen fluid mechanics books, varying from engineering convective heat transfer books, to the Warsi book which was by far my favorite from a physics standpoint.

i haven't replied in a while, and since I'm in the middle of the classes, can anyone give me any good sources on the internet?

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm

Related to Where Can I Find Resources to Supplement My Physics Learning?

1. What is the best way to gather information for learning?

The best way to gather information for learning is by conducting research. This can include reading books, articles, and credible websites, as well as speaking with experts in the field or conducting experiments.

2. How can I effectively organize the information I gather?

One effective way to organize information is by creating an outline. This will help you identify the main ideas and supporting details, and arrange them in a logical order for easier understanding.

3. How do I know if the information I find is reliable?

To determine the reliability of information, it is important to evaluate the source. Look for information from reputable sources such as academic journals, government websites, and expert-written books.

4. How can I improve my critical thinking skills when learning new information?

To improve critical thinking skills, it is important to question and analyze the information you are learning. This includes considering different perspectives, identifying biases, and evaluating evidence to form well-informed opinions.

5. How do I retain the information I learn for long-term use?

To retain information for long-term use, it is helpful to review and practice regularly. This can include creating study guides, summarizing key points, and actively applying the information in real-life situations.