Where Can I Find Plans to Build a Hertz Apparatus for Classroom Demonstrations?

• Thread starter Old Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary, there are multiple options available for replicating Hertz's experiment, including purchasing a replica kit, building the apparatus yourself using provided plans, or creating a scaled-down version using household items.
Old Guy
I would like to find a device to reproduce Hertz's experiment that demonstrated the transmission and reception of EM radiation. The equipment as I recall used a Leydan jar, an inductance coil to boost the voltage, a capacitor with a gap that sparked, and separately a ring with a small (I believe adjustable) gap. Ideally, I would like to get a working model that looks like what Hertz used (OK, I'm willing to substitute a battery for the Leydan jar). Next choice would be something that worked the same, even if it doesn't have that "antique" look. If neither of those are possible, I'd be happy with some plans to build something similar. This would be for a classroom demonstration. Any leads would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a variety of options available for replicating Hertz's experiment. One option is to purchase a "Hertz Apparatus" replica kit, which includes all the components necessary to replicate his experiment, including the Leyden Jar. These kits are available from multiple suppliers such as Edmund Scientific and Science First. Another option is to build the apparatus yourself using plans provided by various sources. For example, the American Institute of Physics has a detailed guide on how to build a Hertz Apparatus using common parts. Additionally, the website Instructables provides detailed instructions on how to build a replica of Hertz's equipment. Finally, if you are looking for an inexpensive option, you may consider building a scaled-down version of the apparatus using common household items. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this on many websites, such as the website of the Royal Institution.

Related to Where Can I Find Plans to Build a Hertz Apparatus for Classroom Demonstrations?

1) What is Hertz's measurement of c?

Hertz's measurement of c refers to the experiment conducted by physicist Heinrich Hertz in the late 19th century to measure the speed of light.

2) How did Hertz measure the speed of light?

Hertz used a series of mirrors and a rotating wheel to measure the time it took for light to travel a certain distance. By calculating the speed of the rotating wheel, he was able to determine the speed of light.

3) What was the result of Hertz's measurement of c?

Hertz's measurement of c was 299,792,458 meters per second, which is considered to be the accepted value for the speed of light in a vacuum.

4) Why is Hertz's measurement of c significant?

Hertz's measurement of c was significant because it provided a more accurate value for the speed of light, which was previously estimated by other scientists to be around 300,000,000 meters per second. Hertz's experiment also helped confirm that light is an electromagnetic wave.

5) Has Hertz's measurement of c been improved upon?

Yes, Hertz's measurement of c has been improved upon over the years with more precise instruments and techniques. The current accepted value for the speed of light in a vacuum is 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the same as Hertz's measurement.