Where can I find my first programming job from home?

In summary, it may be difficult to find a job that you can go to at a specific time, but there are other options such as working from home or freelancing.
kolleamm
Me going to school makes my schedule very irregular so it would be very hard for me to find a job which I can go to at a specific time. Is there any way I can find one where I work from home? Maybe Google or Amazon?

I live in Los Angeles,

Thanks in advance!

Likes Pepper Mint
Physics news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
Me going to school makes my schedule very irregular so it would be very hard for me to find a job which I can go to at a specific time. Is there any way I can find one where I work from home? Maybe Google or Amazon?

I live in Los Angeles,
Without knowing anything about your background, it's hard to say. If you're still going to school, I think it would be difficult to get a job at Google or Amazon, let alone one for which they would let you work from home. Companies like those generally want someone with experience doing the kind of job they're hiring for.

There's always Mechanical Turk. It, however, does not pay well - something that will be likely to remain true until you are able to establish expertise, either via portfolio or credentials.

Likes Pepper Mint
Vanadium 50 said:
There's always Mechanical Turk. It, however, does not pay well - something that will be likely to remain true until you are able to establish expertise, either via portfolio or credentials.
I like MT. One can get 1 cent for a few brilliant mouse-clicks. :biggrin:
And beside portfolio and credentials, one's social relations or known people's introduction if any is also good.
kolleamm said:

I live in Los Angeles,

Thanks in advance!
Working from home isn't always necessarily better than at office but I personally also like working from home. Likely because I no longer go to school and also have had some time in office. My boss now is in his 5x and I don't think he'll run his current company till he retires (at ~60 years old or about 5-7 years later from now). Changing your job from one company to another is also a very big issue even if you are hired to work on the exact same thing you did in your previous job (new environment, relationships with others, basic stuff about the machines you are going to fix etc, a lot). Jobs for working from home or freelancing would ask you a lot more in your area of expertise. They will also test to qualify you for the position they need. Communication between you and the remote team is also limited, so you have to do everything on your own. Many online sites are now filled with all fake ads mainly either to ask test takers to provide them with their solutions to a particular problem or to both test and advertise their own newly built online testing systems to the public. :DD

Thanks for the insights on my question. I'm just the kind of person who likes to think ahead usually and not wait until I finish my degree only to find out I needed to do more in the mean time, but seeing seeing the responses here makes me think I've got a lot more experience I need to gain, as well as flexibility for my hours.
I have a decent problem solving mind but I'll probably need to do more learning to make coding even more of a reflex. Even though I would like a programming job! :D

Related to Where can I find my first programming job from home?

1. Where can I find job listings for remote programming jobs?

The best place to start looking for remote programming jobs is on online job boards such as Indeed, Glassdoor, and LinkedIn. You can also check out specific job search websites for remote work, such as FlexJobs and Remote.co.

2. Do I need to have a lot of experience to get a remote programming job?

While some remote programming jobs may require a certain level of experience, there are also entry-level positions available for those just starting out. It's important to highlight any relevant experience or education on your resume and be prepared to showcase your skills during the interview process.

3. How do I stand out among other applicants for a remote programming job?

One way to stand out is to have a strong portfolio showcasing your coding skills and projects. You can also tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight your remote work experience and ability to work independently. Networking and reaching out to connections in the industry can also help you stand out.

4. What skills and languages are most in-demand for remote programming jobs?

Some of the most in-demand skills for remote programming jobs include knowledge of programming languages such as Java, Python, and JavaScript, as well as experience with web development, mobile development, and database management. It's important to research the specific requirements for the job you are interested in and tailor your skills accordingly.

5. How can I ensure that a remote programming job is legitimate?

It's important to thoroughly research the company and read reviews from other employees before applying for a remote programming job. Be cautious of any job offers that seem too good to be true or require you to pay money upfront. You can also reach out to the company directly to ask about their remote work policies and processes.