Where can I find good books on physics principles and mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for books on physics as a hobby, specifically related to car suspension, aerodynamics, motion, friction, and load. The responders recommend books such as Resnick and Halliday's classical physics, Serway and Beichner's Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Sears/Zemansky/Young's books, and Physics for Scientists and Engineers Parts I and II by Douglas Giancoli. The person also thanks the responders and is welcomed to the physics forum.
CarKing
I am looking for some books about physics. It sounds stupid, but unfortunately I do not have the head of patience for all the calculus in school, and that prevents me from doing much as far as a major in engineering goes. Now it is going to be more of a hobby than anything. However, I need to find some good books explaining principles and ideas and formulas. While I could go to school and purhase a textbook or something, I thought someone here might have something more suited to what I am looking for. I am especially interested in things that relate to car suspension, aerodynamic drag, motion, friction, load, and things that fall in line with that stuff. Mechanical engineering is an area that has always interested me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well Resnick and Halliday's are excellent books about classicalphysics, they are used for physics majors and sometimes engineering majors. I was taught with Serway and Beichner Physics for Scientists and Engineers, it had some interesting problem as well as chapters. It contains probably most of what you're interested in.

Thank you very much for the fast response! I will check it out on amazon.

Welcome to physics forums CarKing! I hope you stay.

Apart from Resnick and Halliday, you might want to check out Sears/Zemansky/Young and Physics for Scientists and Engineers Parts I and II (I think) by Douglas Giancoli. If you are interested in mechanics, the latter will give you a good set of diagrams (in fact an excellent set), problems, theory (and of course, formulae if you're looking for them).

Cheers
Vivek

Related to Where can I find good books on physics principles and mechanics?

What are some recommended physics books for beginners?

Some popular physics books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli.

Where can I find free physics books online?

There are many websites that offer free physics books for download, such as Project Gutenberg, OpenStax, and Archive.org. You can also check with your local library to see if they offer digital copies of physics books.

What are some must-read physics books for advanced readers?

Some highly recommended physics books for advanced readers include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.

Are there any physics books that explain complex concepts in a simple way?

Yes, there are many physics books written specifically for non-scientists or those with little background in physics. Some examples include "Physics for Future Presidents" by Richard Muller, "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick, and "The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection" by Clifford Pickover.

What are some popular physics books that have been turned into movies?

Some popular physics books that have been turned into movies include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, which was adapted into a documentary film, and "The Martian" by Andy Weir, which was adapted into a feature film. "Contact" by Carl Sagan and "The Theory of Everything" by Jane Hawking have also been adapted into films.