Where Can I Find Germanium PIN Photodiodes for Sale?

• I
  • Thread starter elopariel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin
In summary, a Germanium PIN photodiode is a semiconductor device used to convert light energy into electrical current. It has three layers and uses the photoelectric effect to generate a current. Its advantages include high sensitivity, low noise, fast response time, and a wide spectral range. It is commonly used in various applications such as optical communication, medical imaging, and scientific research. Compared to other types of photodiodes, Germanium PIN photodiodes have higher sensitivity and wider spectral range, but are more expensive and less commonly used.
elopariel
TL;DR Summary
looking for a company that sells Ge PIN-type photodiodes
I am looking for a company that sells germanium PIN-type photodiodes. For some reason, I only found a small number of companies that sell PN-type germanium.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Where Can I Find Germanium PIN Photodiodes for Sale?

1. What is a Germanium PIN photodiode?

A Germanium PIN photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. It is made up of three layers - p-type, intrinsic, and n-type - which form a PIN structure. The intrinsic layer is made of germanium, a semiconductor material that is sensitive to light.

2. How does a Germanium PIN photodiode work?

When light enters the intrinsic layer of the photodiode, it creates electron-hole pairs. The electric field between the p and n layers then separates these charges, creating a current that can be measured. The amount of current produced is proportional to the amount of light that enters the photodiode.

3. What are the advantages of using Germanium PIN photodiodes?

Germanium PIN photodiodes have several advantages over other types of photodiodes. They have a high sensitivity to infrared light, making them useful for applications such as night vision and remote sensing. They also have a low dark current, which means they can detect even small amounts of light. Additionally, they have a fast response time and can operate at high temperatures.

4. What are some common applications of Germanium PIN photodiodes?

Germanium PIN photodiodes are commonly used in optical communication systems, such as fiber optic networks and laser communication systems. They are also used in spectroscopy, medical imaging, and remote sensing applications. Due to their high sensitivity to infrared light, they are often used in night vision devices and thermal imaging cameras.

5. How do Germanium PIN photodiodes differ from Silicon photodiodes?

The main difference between Germanium PIN photodiodes and Silicon photodiodes is the material used in their intrinsic layer. Germanium photodiodes are more sensitive to infrared light, while Silicon photodiodes are more sensitive to visible light. Germanium photodiodes also have a lower dark current and faster response time compared to Silicon photodiodes. However, Silicon photodiodes are more cost-effective and have a wider range of applications.