Where Can I Find Dale Resistors?

In summary, Digikey and Mouser both carry Dale resistors, they are low noise, and they are the best for guitar amplifiers.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can anyone give me a source for these resistors please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google is your friend. I just tried a search for Dale resistors and found several sources.

wolram said:
Can anyone give me a source for these resistors please?
I just did a quick search at Digikey and at Mouser, and it looks like Dale is now part of Vishay. Maybe that was confusing your searches. :smile:

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been searching for a supply in England with no luck, other suppliers will not sell in small numbers.

What's special about Dale? What are the specs you are trying to match?

berkeman said:
What's special about Dale? What are the specs you are trying to match?

I am told that Dale resistors have low noise and are the best for guitar amplifiers, I am not sure that is right but I would rather err on the on recommendations.

wolram said:
I am told that Dale resistors have low noise and are the best for guitar amplifiers, I am not sure that is right but I would rather err on the on recommendations.
Sounds like an Urban Legend to me. AFAIK, all resistors give you the 4kTRB type of noise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise

Unless the resistors have built-in bandwidth (B) limiting <something> like high parasitic capacitance, I don't know where that idea came from.

Likes Averagesupernova
berkeman said:
I don't know where that idea came from.
It goes back to the time when carbon composition resistors reigned supreme. A wirewound Dale (with mostly thermal noise) is noticeably quieter than a carbon comp which also has plenty of contact noise, and shot noise.

Thinking back, my 70's era Bassman 50 was built using mostly carbon comp. I don't know when manufacturers began changing to metal film, but they are nearly as quiet as wire wound (and not nearly so inductive), and would have obviated the need.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
Metal film assortments aren't outrageously expensive. Something like this might be a lifetime supply of everyday lower ohm values.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/yageo/RS201/RS201-ND/19989

for some background on resistor noise see http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1272283

Last edited:
wolram said:
Regardless of the noise thing. If you only need a few selected resistances, I have a some I'd be willing to give you.
dale.jpg

Thank you for the offer Digoff, but I have found a source and ordered my resistors :biggrin:

Likes dlgoff

Related to Where Can I Find Dale Resistors?

What are "Source for Dale resistors"?

"Source for Dale resistors" is a phrase commonly used to refer to a supplier or manufacturer of Dale resistors. Dale resistors are a type of electronic component used in various circuits to control the flow of electric current.

What are the benefits of using Dale resistors?

Dale resistors are known for their high quality and reliability. They also have low noise and low temperature coefficients, making them ideal for precision applications. Additionally, they have a wide range of resistance values and can handle high levels of power.

Where can I purchase Dale resistors?

Dale resistors can be purchased from various electronics suppliers and distributors, both online and in physical stores. Some popular sources include Digi-Key, Mouser, and Newark. You can also purchase directly from the manufacturer, Vishay Dale.

What types of Dale resistors are available?

Dale resistors come in various types, including through-hole resistors, surface-mount resistors, and power resistors. They also come in different materials, such as carbon film, metal film, and thick film. The specific type you need will depend on your application and circuit requirements.

Can I customize Dale resistors for my specific needs?

Yes, many suppliers and manufacturers offer custom resistor options for Dale resistors. This can include specific resistance values, tolerances, and packaging options. Contact your supplier or manufacturer to inquire about customization options.