Where Can I Find Comprehensive Resources on the Cosmic Microwave Background?

• Thread starter The Rev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb
CMB, as there are no books available yet due to the newness of precision CMB science. They suggest searching websites and reading papers, and also mention the WMAP website as a good starting point.
The Rev
Does anyone here know of any good books or sites that describe the CMB in a comprehensive way? I want to learn more about it, because I find it very interesting, but most of what I've found is just snippets here and there, or descriptions that either take for granted that I know a lot about physics, mathematics, or both.

I just want to know what it is, what it's properties are, etc. in terms a lay person can understand.

Thanks.

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think there are any books on this yet. Precision CMB science is too new, I think. You're better off searching websites and, if you can stomach it, reading some of the papers. Along with what hellfire suggested, the WMAP website is a good place to start.

Muchas Gracias

[tex]\pi[/tex]

The Rev

Related to Where Can I Find Comprehensive Resources on the Cosmic Microwave Background?

1. What is CMB?

CMB stands for Cosmic Microwave Background, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang that fills the entire universe.

2. Why is CMB important for scientists?

CMB provides valuable information about the early universe, including its age, composition, and evolution. It also supports the Big Bang theory and helps us understand the structure and formation of the universe.

3. How was CMB discovered?

CMB was first discovered in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson using a radio telescope. They found a faint background noise that was consistent with the predictions of the Big Bang theory.

4. How is CMB measured and observed?

CMB is measured using specialized instruments, such as radio telescopes and satellites, that can detect the faint microwaves in space. These instruments map the temperature and polarization of the CMB across the sky.

5. What can CMB tell us about the universe?

CMB provides information about the composition and structure of the universe, including the amount of dark matter and dark energy. It also supports the theory of cosmic inflation, which explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages.