Where Can I Find Challenging Exercises for Multivariable Calculus?

In summary, the conversation was about preparing for a tough multivariable calculus exam and finding resources with challenging exercises on series, vectors, partial differentiation, and multiple integration. The individual was currently studying from Stewart's Calculus and Adams Calculus: A complete course, but was unsure if the problems in these books were difficult enough for the exam. They were seeking recommendations for a good book or website with challenging exercises. Several course websites from Caltech were suggested, which contain homework with challenging problems on single/multivariable calculus, multivariable/linear calculus, and series.
wtiger1702
Hi everyone.

We will have a tough exam for multivariable calculus which contains subjects like series, vectors, partial differentiation, multiple integration.

Im currently studying on Stewart's Calculus and Adams Calculus: A complete course but I am not sure the problems in these books are hard enough for the exam.

So i need a good book or website that has some good, challenging exercises about these subjects.

Thanks for your advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.math.caltech.edu/~2011-12/3term/ma001c-pr/index.html#hw

http://www.math.caltech.edu/~2011-12/1term/ma001a/#hw

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~padraic/math1d_2012/math1d_2012.html

Those are three course websites from Caltech on single/multivariable calculus, multivariable/linear and a course on series. If you go through the homeworks, you should find challenging problems. Granted, not all the homework problems will be useful but there are some very good and challenging problems in there.

I don't know any intro books myself that have more challenging problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Where Can I Find Challenging Exercises for Multivariable Calculus?

1. What are some basic exercises for calculus?

Some basic exercises for calculus include finding derivatives, solving limits, and evaluating integrals.

2. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or attend study groups. You can also try explaining the concepts to someone else or using online resources such as tutorials and practice problems.

3. What is the best way to approach calculus exercises?

The best way to approach calculus exercises is to start by understanding the underlying concepts and definitions. Then, work through practice problems step by step, making sure to check your work and identify any mistakes. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Are there any resources for practicing calculus exercises online?

Yes, there are many online resources available for practicing calculus exercises. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Mathway, and Wolfram Alpha. You can also find practice problems and quizzes on educational websites or through your textbook's online resources.

5. How important is it to regularly practice calculus exercises?

Regular practice is crucial for mastering calculus. The more you practice, the more familiar you will become with the concepts and the easier it will be to solve problems. Additionally, practicing regularly will help you identify any areas where you need to improve and allow you to seek help before it becomes too challenging.