Where Can I Find an Astable Linear Solenoid for My Robotics Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in conducting a robotics experiment with their children that requires a linear solenoid actuator. They are struggling to find a way to continuously pump the solenoid and are considering using a 555 chip and learning circuitry. The conversation also suggests alternative solutions using a motor and crank, simple stepper motors, and time delay relays. The purpose of the solenoid-pump combination is unclear, but options such as providing a continuous flow or cycling a plunger are mentioned. It is also suggested to use a standard electric micro pump as an alternative to the solenoid.
udtsith
I enjoy doing kitchen engineering with my kids. We were looking to do a robotics experiment which would require a linear solenoid actuator to continuously pump. I thought it would be simple until I realized that I would likely need a 555 chip(?) and some skills with circuitry...which would be fine if that was the lesson for me and my kids. Basically...anybody know where I might purchase a linear solenoid that is in the astable position. They seem surprisingly hard to come by? Thank you! Sorry this isn't an academic question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nidum said:
Thank you Nidum. I was the one that posted to the original thread you site. After taking what you said from that one I did online searching on building a simple circuit but it would take me some time to figure out and experiment as I am on level 2 with circuitry. My interest is in mechanical motion. I'd like to learn circuitry but time and our exercise we are doing is on robotic motion. I went to youtube and there are some basic set ups but I find myself straining to see how they wired the solenoid. And then the online look up seems that using a 555 chip is the way to go. If I can get by without having to do circuitry that would be great.

There is an alternative solution using a motor and crank to push and pull a rod continuously and at an easily controlled rate .

Simple model boat motors will be ok .

If you are interested in robotics then look into simple stepper motor applications . Much of what you would need for experimentation can be bought ready made and there is an easy road to computer control .

Time delay relays are old technology. You can make an astable solenoid by including a big lump of iron in the magnetic path. It takes so long to magnetise and demagnetise the core that the solenoid switches very slowly. A relay contact on the solenoid can be used to sense the state and power the coil when the solenoid gap opens.

A magnetic time delay relay can control the power to a larger solenoid. A flyback diode can be used to adjust the symmetry of operation.
What period of operation do you want for the On and for the Off states ?

How you want to apply this solenoid- pump combination?
Is it to provide a continuous flow or more like a plunger to cycle something connected to the end of a liquid filled tube?
If you want something that will simply provide a liquid/gas flow; then, have you considered using a standard electric micro pump?
There are a variety of small diaphragm liquid and gas pumps available on line with a wide range of delivery rates and operating voltages.

Related to Where Can I Find an Astable Linear Solenoid for My Robotics Experiment?

What is an astable linear solenoid?

An astable linear solenoid is an electromagnetic device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It consists of a coil of wire that carries an electrical current, surrounded by a ferromagnetic core. When a current is applied, an electromagnetic field is created, causing the core to move in a linear motion.

How does an astable linear solenoid work?

An astable linear solenoid works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that attracts or repels the ferromagnetic core, causing it to move in a linear motion. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears, and the core returns to its original position due to its natural spring-like properties.

What are the applications of an astable linear solenoid?

Astable linear solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in valves, switches, relays, printers, and various industrial and consumer electronics. They are also used in electromechanical actuators, locking mechanisms, and other devices that require precise linear motion.

What factors affect the performance of an astable linear solenoid?

The performance of an astable linear solenoid can be influenced by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the coil and core, the type and amount of current flowing through the coil, and the mechanical load on the core. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect its performance.

What are the advantages of using an astable linear solenoid?

Some advantages of using an astable linear solenoid include its compact size, precise linear motion, and fast response time. It also requires minimal maintenance, has a high operating speed, and can produce high force. Additionally, it can be easily controlled and can operate in both AC and DC circuits.