Where Can I Find Affordable Bulk Magnet Wire?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a source to buy magnet wire in bulk, preferably between 20 and 26 gauge. They mention buying it from RadioShack or eBay in smaller rolls, but want to invest in larger rolls for future experiments. Another person in the conversation recommends Mouser as a distributor for Belden magnet wire, and provides a link to their catalog page. The speaker also mentions using Findchips.com to find other distributors that carry Belden magnet wire.
Jdo300
Hello All,

In my projects, I am constantly winding coils and more coils, which all use magnet wire of various lengts and gauges. Most of the stuff, I buy from RadioShack or eBay in50' and 100' rolls. But since I go through a lot of it, I figured it would be worth the money to just buy a couple of large rolls to use for future experiments. I am looking for some stuff between 20 and 26 gauge generally and I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any good sites for buying it in bulk (bulk meaning about 1-5lb) for a decent price. If all else fails, I'll be snooping around eBay for some more.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mouser is a handy distributor of magnet wire. Here is a catalog page of theirs with Belden magnet wire listed:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/629/852.pdf

I didn't get any hits with a Digikey search, but they may carry magnet wire as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I just now used the Belden part number for 26AWG (8053) at Findchips.com, and got lots of hits. That's a generic enough number that most of the hits are for other stuff, but it does show that a number of distributors carry the Belden magnet wire.

Related to Where Can I Find Affordable Bulk Magnet Wire?

1. What is magnet wire and what is it used for?

Magnet wire, also known as winding wire or enameled wire, is a type of insulated electrical wire that is coated with a thin layer of insulation, typically made of enamel or varnish. It is used for creating electromagnetic coils in a variety of electronic devices, such as motors, transformers, and generators.

2. What are the common types of insulation used for magnet wire?

The most commonly used types of insulation for magnet wire are enamel, varnish, and polyurethane. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different applications. Enamel is the most widely used and provides good thermal and chemical resistance. Varnish offers good resistance to moisture and abrasion. Polyurethane has excellent electrical properties and is often used for high-performance applications.

3. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a source for magnet wire?

The key factors to consider when choosing a source for magnet wire include the type of insulation, wire gauge, temperature rating, and desired quantity. It is also important to choose a reputable supplier with a track record of providing high-quality, consistent products.

4. Can magnet wire be customized for specific applications?

Yes, magnet wire can be customized for specific applications. The insulation type, wire gauge, and temperature rating can be tailored to meet the requirements of a particular application. Customization may also include special treatments or coatings for improved performance in extreme environments.

5. What are the potential risks associated with using low-quality magnet wire?

Using low-quality magnet wire can result in several risks, such as poor electrical performance, increased chances of short circuits, and reduced durability. This can lead to malfunctions in electronic devices and potentially dangerous situations. It is important to always choose high-quality magnet wire from a reputable source to ensure safe and reliable operation.