Where Can I Find Advanced Undergraduate Physics Practice Problems?

In summary, the speaker is looking for a reserve of practice problems with solutions at the advanced undergraduate or early graduate level in physics. They are not studying for anything specific, but want to do a couple of practice problems every day to improve their skills. They have already found previous GRE tests and some sample competition problems, but are looking for more resources, ideally broken up by subject. The speaker is open to a wide range of difficulties and problem styles/types. They are also interested in questions for undergraduate physics competitions. Some suggested resources include the OpenCourse Ware at MIT and the books in the Major American Universities Ph. D. Qualifying Questions and Solutions series.
maverick_starstrider
Hi, I'm looking for a good reserve of practice problems (preferably with solutions) at the level of advanced undergrad or early grad. I'm not studying for anything (I'm already in grad and I've got a while before comps) I'd just like to do like a practice problem or 2 a day to really get sharp at all of undergrad physics. I've already found previous GRE tests and some sample comp problems (and a couple books) I was wondering if anyone know of some more stuff. Ideally I'd like things broken up into subjects (so I could do only EM or stat mech problems if I wanted to). Once again, I'm not actually studying for anything it's just for fun so I'll take a wide range of difficulties and problem styles/types. Just want to get good.

P.S. Something like questions for undergrad physics competitions would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the OpenCourse Ware at MIT: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm Not a lot of solutions.

You could also pick up the books in the Major American Universities Ph. D. Qualifying Questions and Solutions for instance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810231334/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear fellow scientist,

There are many resources available for practice problems at the advanced undergraduate and early graduate level. One option is to look for textbooks or study guides that have practice problems with solutions included. These can often be found at university libraries or online. Another option is to search for practice problems on educational websites or forums where students and professors share resources and solutions.

Additionally, many universities offer past exams and practice problems for their own undergraduate physics competitions. These can be a great source of challenging and diverse problems, broken down into different subjects. Another idea is to reach out to professors or graduate students in your department who may have a collection of practice problems or be able to recommend resources.

Lastly, I would suggest using a variety of problem styles and difficulties to truly sharpen your skills in all areas of undergraduate physics. This can include conceptual questions, numerical calculations, and real-world applications. Remember, the key to mastering any subject is consistent practice and dedication.

Best of luck in your pursuit of becoming an expert in undergraduate physics!

Related to Where Can I Find Advanced Undergraduate Physics Practice Problems?

1. What is the purpose of using a source of practice problems?

The purpose of using a source of practice problems is to improve your understanding and application of a particular subject or skill. By practicing, you can identify your strengths and weaknesses and focus on areas that need improvement. Additionally, practice problems can help you prepare for exams or real-life situations.

2. Where can I find a reliable source of practice problems?

There are many sources of practice problems available, such as textbooks, online resources, and study guides. It is important to choose a reliable source that is relevant to your level of expertise and aligns with your learning goals. You can also consult with teachers, tutors, or other experts in the field for recommendations.

3. How do I know if the practice problems are of good quality?

Good quality practice problems should be challenging but not overwhelming. They should be well-structured, clear, and relevant to the subject matter. Look for sources that provide detailed explanations and solutions to the problems. It is also helpful to read reviews or ask for feedback from others who have used the source.

4. How often should I use a source of practice problems?

The frequency of using a source of practice problems depends on your learning style and schedule. Some people may benefit from daily practice, while others may prefer a more spaced-out approach. It is important to find a balance that works for you and to not overdo it, as burnout can hinder your progress.

5. Can I create my own practice problems?

Absolutely! Creating your own practice problems can be a valuable learning experience. It allows you to apply your knowledge in a different way and identify any gaps in your understanding. You can also tailor the problems to your specific needs and learning goals. Just make sure to check the solutions or have someone else verify their accuracy.