Where Can I Find Accredited Online Physics with Algebra Courses?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a physics course with algebra online for a twin brother in the military who is unable to commute to a university. The speaker has not been able to find any schools that are widely accredited and asks for recommendations from the group. Suggestions such as Khan Academy, mathispower4u.com, Coursera, MIT online courses, and edX are given, but it is mentioned that these are for-profit schools and may not be accredited. It is also noted that a physics course typically includes a lab which may be difficult to do online. The original speaker clarifies that they are specifically looking for a credited course for their brother to fulfill a prerequisite for a sonography program.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have a twin brother in the military who is trying to take physics with algebra online (for military purposes he is unable to commute to a University). I thought this course would be easy to find since nearly every school offers calculus online. I haven't been able to find any schools that are widely accredited (for example, University of Phoenix online is not accepted at most Universities evidently).

Does anyone here know of a US university or CC that offers this?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked Khan's Academy courses?

khanacademy.org

and for math

mathispower4u.com

or are you looking for credit courses like Coursera?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coursera

https://www.coursera.org

or MIT online courses (not sure about credit)?

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

https://www.edx.org

With respect the Univ of Phoenix and Coursera , are for-profit schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix

Recently, there's a controversy growing over for-profit schools and veterans using the GI bill to pay for a substandard education.

A physics course will include a lab, and the lab requires lots of expensive and specialized equipment. That's why my school, and presumably others, has never tried to offer a purely online physics course.

@jedishrfu : The OP was asking specifically about courses from accredited schools, so I don't think Khan Academy, etc., are going to work.

Likes member 428835 and mechpeac
I agree that the biggest problem is the need for the lab portion of the course.

bcrowell said:
A physics course will include a lab, and the lab requires lots of expensive and specialized equipment. That's why my school, and presumably others, has never tried to offer a purely online physics course.

@jedishrfu : The OP was asking specifically about courses from accredited schools, so I don't think Khan Academy, etc., are going to work.

Thanks, yeah, I saw that in his post and asked about it in my response.

I figured that maybe they were looking for anything to study though.

Thank you all for a response. He does need a credited course since he is planning to attend a sonography program after he is out of the military, and one of the prerequisites to admission is a basic physics course.

Thanks again for the responses!

Related to Where Can I Find Accredited Online Physics with Algebra Courses?

1. What topics are covered in a "Physics with Algebra Online" course?

A "Physics with Algebra Online" course typically covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, and waves. It also includes the use of algebraic equations to solve physics problems.

2. What are the benefits of taking a "Physics with Algebra Online" course?

Taking a "Physics with Algebra Online" course allows for flexibility in learning, as students can access lectures and materials at their own pace and schedule. It also offers the convenience of studying from anywhere with an internet connection. Additionally, online courses often have interactive simulations and virtual labs that enhance the learning experience.

3. Do I need to be good at math to succeed in a "Physics with Algebra Online" course?

While a basic understanding of algebra is necessary, the course usually starts with a review of algebraic concepts and builds upon them throughout the course. With practice and dedication, anyone can succeed in a "Physics with Algebra Online" course, regardless of their math skills.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking a "Physics with Algebra Online" course?

Most "Physics with Algebra Online" courses do not have any specific prerequisites. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry to better understand the concepts taught in the course.

5. How are exams and assessments conducted in an "Physics with Algebra Online" course?

Exams and assessments in an "Physics with Algebra Online" course are typically conducted through online quizzes, tests, and assignments. These may include multiple-choice questions, short answer questions, and problem-solving questions. Some courses may also have a final exam that needs to be taken in person at a designated testing center.