Where Can I Find a Good Introductory Book for Writing Mathematical Proofs?

In summary, "How to Prove It" by Daniel Velleman is a recommended introductory book for learning how to write mathematical proofs. Other suggestions include "How to Solve It" by Polya, "Book of Proof" by Richard Hammack, "Doing Mathematics" by Steven Galovich, "Elementary Analysis" by Kenneth A. Ross, and "Principles of Mathematics" for a basic understanding of logic.
hawaiifiver
Hello

Could anyone recommend a good introductory book for learning how to write mathematical proofs.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
How to Prove It by Daniel Velleman

I'd post a link to Amazon but I have less than 10 posts. It's cheap but well written.

Are those appropriate for first proofs or for people who have some proof experience already? I've done proofs in linear algebra, number theory, etc. but I've never taken a discrete math or mathematical logic class. I know induction, contradiction, contraposition, and such, but I'd like to have some more experience before I take more rigorous courses like algebra and analysis this fall. (It's a long story, but I'm doing transitional coursework in grad school, and my university teaches proofs in the advanced sequences rather than in a separate logic class.)

SolomonX said:
How to Prove It by Daniel Velleman

I'd post a link to Amazon but I have less than 10 posts. It's cheap but well written.
I second this book. I went from a novice to decent proof writer after reading Velleman's book.

My proof writing class used Doing Mathematics: an introduction to proofs and problem solving by Steven Galovich.

However, I didn't particularly like the class or the book (though there are a lot of fun problems at the back of the book), not because either one was bad, but I didn't like learning how to prove things for its own sake. I got a better experience with proofs from abstract algebra and topology classes.

I don't know how helpful this is but I found it awhile back:

http://www.math.vt.edu/people/day/ProofsBook/

I'm not totally sure what level of mathematics is expected for it either, but someone might find it useful.

Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus, by Kenneth A. Ross

"If yer going to be stoopid, you got to be tough"

I heard this as "life is hard; if you're stupid, it's really hard!"

oh yeah, proofs: i agree it is best to learn actual proofs of interesting things, but a tiny basic amount of logic (propositional calculus) helped me, from Principles of mathematics, chapter one I think.

Hello to all,

Wow this thread has really taken off. Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually bought Velleman's book. I just finished the first three chapters. It's really well written.

Good luck.

Related to Where Can I Find a Good Introductory Book for Writing Mathematical Proofs?

1. What is a mathematical proof?

A mathematical proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement. It is a method of verifying that a mathematical statement or theorem is true by using established axioms and rules of logic.

2. Why are mathematical proofs important?

Mathematical proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and systematic way of verifying the truth of mathematical statements. They are essential for building a solid foundation for mathematics and ensuring the accuracy and validity of mathematical concepts and theories.

3. What are the different types of mathematical proofs?

There are several types of mathematical proofs, including direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by construction. Each type has its own specific structure and method of reasoning.

4. Can anyone write a mathematical proof?

In theory, anyone can write a mathematical proof. However, it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and a logical thought process. It also takes practice and experience to write clear, concise, and valid proofs.

5. What are some recommended books for learning how to write mathematical proofs?

Some popular books for learning how to write mathematical proofs include "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman, "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand, "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari, and "Mathematical Proofs: A Concise Introduction" by H. Jerome Keisler.