Where Can I Find a Comprehensive Book on Atomic Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker looking for a good book on atomic physics that covers the hydrogen atom and its transitions in detail. One suggestion is "Physics of Atoms and Molecules" by Bransden and Joachain, which is known for its mathematical details. Another recommendation is "Theoretical Atomic Physics" by Friedrich.
M. next
I really need a good book in Atomic Physics that goes through the Hydrogen atom starting from the schrödinger equation to Transitions to Fine Structure smoothly and in details so that it is efficient.

Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the best book on atomic physics I know is http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Physics/AtomicMolecularOpticalphysics/?view=usa&ci=0198506953.

Thank you for the reply. Well, I took a look at it. But the problem is that he goes fast into calculations. Is there a close book to this one?

Thank you. I will check those!

Related to Where Can I Find a Comprehensive Book on Atomic Physics?

1. What is atomic physics?

Atomic physics is the study of the structure and behavior of atoms, including their nuclei and their interactions with other particles and electromagnetic radiation.

2. Why is atomic physics important?

Atomic physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws that govern their behavior. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and nuclear energy.

3. What are some key concepts in atomic physics?

Some key concepts in atomic physics include the structure of the atom, quantum mechanics, atomic energy levels, and the interactions between atoms and particles.

4. How does atomic physics relate to other branches of physics?

Atomic physics is closely related to other branches of physics such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

5. What are some real-world applications of atomic physics?

Atomic physics has numerous real-world applications, including the development of technologies such as lasers, nuclear power, and medical imaging. It also helps in understanding natural phenomena such as the properties of materials and the behavior of stars.