Where can I find a 100V DC power supply with 15A output?

• Thread starter eschafer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a transformer to convert 115VAC from the wall to 100VAC or 100VDC, with a current of 10-15A and a power of 1-1.5kW. It is suggested to use a variac to adjust the voltage to 70VAC and then create a rectifier circuit for the DC conversion. However, this may be difficult and it is recommended to have experience with high voltage and current circuits. Alternatively, a 100VDC power supply can be purchased commercially, with suggestions for specific products.
eschafer
Hi all,

I am looking for a transformer to convert the 115VAC from the wall to ~100VAC, 10-15A, and 1-1.5kW. Is something like this commercially available? Otherwise how difficult would it be to make?

Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
115V to 100V is unusual, generally equipement isn't that specific - its built to take a small range of inputs just to handle unreliable supplies.

Generally contractor's power tools have to run through a 115V isolating transformer - these shoudl be able to handle 1Kw and are pretty cheap and easy to get.

mgb_phys,

Thanks very much for the help.

I actually had a typo in my original post however. Our goal is to tranform the 115VAC from the wall to 100VDC. So for the AC transformer I believe I would be looking to convert 115VAC to ~70VAC (=0.707*100Vp).

Try getting a variac (variable transformer) which may be adjusted to get 70 Vac. Then you're on your own to make a rectifier circuit for the DC.

By the way, I would not do this (making your own rectifier circuit) if I didn't already have experience making circuits that work at these high voltage and current levels that you are talking about.

EDIT:
Ah, what am I thinking? Just get a 100 Vdc power supply, at the current and power level you need.

Your calculations only apply if the transformer is lightloaded and you have a sufficiently large smoothing C. How much ripple can you tolerate?

Output voltage depends on the power rating of the transformer and how much it is loaded. It is not clear cut.

Maybe there are high current 115 to 115 isolation transfomers available. ...used on building sites. Nearest you will get.

Related to Where can I find a 100V DC power supply with 15A output?

1. What is the purpose of a 115VAC, >1kW transformer?

A 115VAC, >1kW transformer is used to step up or step down the voltage of an electrical current. It is commonly used in electronic devices to convert high voltage electricity from power sources into lower voltage electricity that is safe for use in the device.

2. How does a 115VAC, >1kW transformer work?

A transformer works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another. The transformer has two coils, a primary coil where the input voltage is applied, and a secondary coil where the output voltage is produced. The two coils are wrapped around a core made of iron, which helps to transfer the energy between the coils.

3. What is the maximum power that can be handled by a 115VAC, >1kW transformer?

The maximum power that can be handled by a 115VAC, >1kW transformer is 1,000 watts. This means that the transformer is capable of handling a current of up to 8.7 amps at 115 volts.

4. Are there any safety considerations when using a 115VAC, >1kW transformer?

Yes, there are some safety considerations when using a 115VAC, >1kW transformer. As with any electrical device, it is important to follow safety precautions and handle the transformer with care. It is also important to ensure that the transformer is properly grounded and that the input and output voltages are within the specified range to avoid damage to the device or potential hazards.

5. What are the common applications of a 115VAC, >1kW transformer?

A 115VAC, >1kW transformer is commonly used in various electronic devices such as computers, audio equipment, and power tools. It can also be used in industrial and commercial settings to power larger electrical equipment and machinery. Additionally, it is used in residential settings to convert the voltage of household appliances to a safe level.