Where and how do I test for motor vibration in maintenance?

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with creating a general work instruction for motor vibration analysis in the maintenance sector. They are looking for guidance on which points to test for vibration and the methods to use, with a focus on the location and position. The motor in question is an electric motor coupled to a centrifugal pump and the application is commonly found in petrolchem plants. The maintenance involves checking vibration readings weekly and performing rectification if it exceeds 0~0.10mm/s. The suggested methods for testing include looking at axial vibration, relative phase, and vertical and transverse measurements to indicate any issues with angular misalignment or rotating imbalance. Spectral analysis can also be used to diagnose any bearing problems.
haru87
Hi everyone, this i my first post here. I need some help in doing a general work instruction for motor vibration analysis. I am totally new in this maintenance sector. I could do with some help :)

Basically i need to know which exact points i have to test for vibration and method to be use. Dont need to be too detailed, crucial thing is where and which position. I search the web and they don't really mention much on how to do a simple test.

I thank you guys in advance for the information you provide.

Engineering news on Phys.org
what kind of motor?
what is application?

What sort of motor? What application?

What are you testing for vibration for?

It can be any electric motor coupled to a centrifugal pump.

It is mainly a weekly maintenance thing. To check the vibration reading to ensure it is running in good condition.
If vibration reading exceeds 0~0.10mm/s rectification will be done as a part of preventive maintenance.

Its application is commonly found at petrolchem plant. running at above 70degrees c.

I hope i answer and give enough details for you guys to help me ._.

Well, if you've already got a criteria to indicate maintenance is required, use that.

I'd look at axial vibration on both the motor and pump and the relative phase thereof; this will indicate whether you have an issue with angular misalignment between the two machines. I'd also look at vertical and transverse measurements to indicate any rotating imbalance. You might also want to do some spectral analysis (compare to a baseline regularly) to diagnose any bearing problems.

Related to Where and how do I test for motor vibration in maintenance?

What is motor vibration analysis?

Motor vibration analysis is a technique used to measure and analyze the vibrations produced by an electric motor. This analysis can provide valuable insights into the health and performance of the motor, helping to identify any potential issues or defects.

Why is motor vibration analysis important?

Motor vibration analysis is important because it can help prevent costly breakdowns and downtime of equipment. By regularly analyzing motor vibrations, potential issues can be detected early on, allowing for maintenance or repairs to be done before they become more serious problems.

How is motor vibration analysis performed?

Motor vibration analysis involves using specialized equipment, such as accelerometers and vibration sensors, to measure the vibrations produced by a motor. The data is then analyzed using software, which can provide insights into the motor's condition and performance.

What are the benefits of motor vibration analysis?

There are several benefits of motor vibration analysis, including improved equipment reliability, reduced maintenance costs, and increased energy efficiency. It can also help extend the lifespan of the motor and prevent unexpected breakdowns.

When should motor vibration analysis be performed?

Motor vibration analysis should be performed regularly as part of a preventative maintenance program. The frequency of analysis will depend on the type of motor and its usage, but it is recommended to perform it at least once a year or after any significant changes or repairs to the motor.