When you solve a problem incorrectly, what's the usual culprit?

• Thread starter The Rev
  • Start date
In summary, when solving problems, the usual culprit for errors is "stupid mistakes" such as accidentally adding instead of subtracting or forgetting to include a negative sign. Rarely is it due to a misapplication of a skill. For some, these mistakes occur 80% of the time. Another common source of error is focusing on computation rather than understanding the material. Some people find the equation e^i^π= -1 particularly interesting because it combines e, pi, i, addition, multiplication, exponentiation, multiplicative identity, equality, and the additive identity in a neat way. There is also a desire to include other important numbers, such as phi and 1/137, to potentially reveal the meaning of life

What causes you to screw up an equation?

• "Stupid" Mistakes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Solving the problem incorrectly

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
The Rev
When you solve a problem incorrectly, what's the usual culprit? Is it a "stupid mistake" (such as accidentally adding when you should have subtracted, etc.) or is it a misapplication of a skill?

For myself, as I go along in my learning, whenever I get into trouble in an equation, 9 times out of 10 it's some stupid mistake, like accidently leaving off the minus sign of a negative number, or something. Rarely is it because I divided wrong, or thought I understood what to do and found out I didn't.

What screws you up?

[tex]e^i^\pi=-1[/tex]

The Rev

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is there a reason that equation's posted?

whozum said:
Is there a reason that equation's posted?

No, sorry. I just love elegant stuff like that, so I place it between the end of my post and my name. It's a self-indulgence thing.

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

Oh cool.

[tex] x = 0 [/tex]

That equation is usually written as

[tex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

because of the "mystique" of having e, pi, i, addition, multiplication, exponentiation, multiplicative identity, equality, and the additive identity in a neat little package.

Last edited by a moderator:
minus signs are probably the biggest source of error.

or just in general making computations as opposed to understanding what is going on.

this is why we try to teach our students to want to understand the material as opposed to merely compute.

For me it is completely stupid mistakes, or I should at least say 80+% of the time.

Icebreaker said:
That equation is usually written as

[tex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

because of the "mystique" of having e, pi, i, addition, multiplication, exponentiation, multiplicative identity, equality, and the additive identity in a neat little package.

If we could work [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{137}[/tex] in there somehow, we might have the meaning of life. (Wouldn't it be cool if the resulting equation solved to 42?)

[tex]-0[/tex]

The Rev

Related to When you solve a problem incorrectly, what's the usual culprit?

1. What are some common reasons for solving a problem incorrectly?

There can be a variety of reasons for solving a problem incorrectly, such as a lack of understanding of the problem, incorrect assumptions, using incorrect formulas or equations, or making careless errors.

2. How can I avoid making mistakes when solving a problem?

To avoid making mistakes when solving a problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, double check all assumptions and calculations, and take breaks to prevent fatigue or rushing through the problem.

3. How does problem-solving approach affect the likelihood of solving a problem incorrectly?

The approach to problem-solving can greatly affect the likelihood of solving a problem incorrectly. A systematic and logical approach, such as breaking down the problem into smaller steps, can help reduce the chances of making mistakes.

4. Is it common to solve a problem incorrectly even when using the correct method?

Yes, it is possible to solve a problem incorrectly even when using the correct method. This can happen due to careless errors or misinterpretation of the problem.

5. Can I learn from solving a problem incorrectly?

Yes, solving a problem incorrectly can be a valuable learning experience. It can help identify areas of weakness and improve problem-solving skills for future challenges.