Coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson

In summary, the pentaquark particle is formed when gamma rays are directed at a heavy hydrogen nuclei, and it decays into a neutron and a K+ meson. Its half life is estimated to be around 10-20 seconds, making it an unstable particle.
PRodQuanta
I think it is simply the coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sounds logical

Looking at it's quark content (uudds) it's obvious it has the same quark content as a neutron and a K+ indeed those are the two particles it decays into, I'm not sure how it's formed though.

I have read that it is formed when gamma rays are directed at a heavy hydrogen nuclei and what happens next is beyond me

It is merely the coalescence of the neutron and the K+ meson. I believe that is what the original article on this read awhile ago.

So if the pentaquark particle decays into a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

So if the pentaquark particle decays into a neutron and a K+ meson then it is unstable. Would anyone happen to know its half life?

IIRC it's thought to be about 10-20 which is pretty short even for an elementary particle.

1. What is coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson?

Coalescence refers to the process in which two particles fuse together to form a new particle. In this case, a neutron and a K+ meson combine to form a new particle.

2. How does coalescence occur between a neutron and a K+ meson?

The coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson occurs when the two particles come close enough to interact through the strong nuclear force. This force binds the two particles together, resulting in the formation of a new particle.

3. What is the significance of coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson?

This process is important in understanding the structure of atomic nuclei and the behavior of subatomic particles. It also helps in the study of the strong nuclear force and its effects on particles.

4. Can coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson occur in nature?

Yes, this process can occur in nature, particularly in high-energy collisions between particles. It is also an important concept in theoretical physics and is used to explain the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Are there any practical applications of coalescence between a neutron and a K+ meson?

While there are no direct practical applications, the study of this process can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. This knowledge can potentially have technological and medical applications in the future.