WHen x-rays hit the anode is it true that they become accelerated

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of X-ray emission and how it is used to identify atoms. It is mentioned that X-rays are emitted when accelerated electrons strike the anode and produce a continuous and line spectrum. X-rays are seen as a valuable tool in the medical field for detecting internal injuries and examining internal body parts.
jazzoz
Hi people :)

I got two questions concerning x-rays

1. WHen x-rays hit the anode is it true that they become accelerated and as a result of thsi accelereation emmits radiation incl. x-rays?

2. in an characterstic spectrum how is it then possible to determine the exact atom which emitted the x-ray i mean the energy from L to K shell is the same for all atoms right?
so if i have an characterstic spectrum with Kalpha and Kbeta the energies for these would be the same for all atoms? and therefore i don't understand why it can be used to identify atoms as the energies are the same?

I hope you understand what i mean :)
best regards Jazzoz

Science news on Phys.org

X rays are emitted when accelerated ELECTRONS strike the anode and are brought to rest.
An X ray spectrum has 2 features
1) The continuous spectrum produced by the decelleration of electrons... a wide range of energies produced
2) The line spectrum produced by changes in electron energy levels of the anode metal

X-rays are one of the best gift of science...With it's help we can see the internal things or internal parts of body or if there is any internal injury than we can find it with the help of X-ray..One can do X-ray of any part of the body..

See this link for information about just what you want to know.

Hello Jazzoz, thank you for your questions regarding x-rays. To answer your first question, yes, it is true that x-rays become accelerated when they hit the anode. This is because the anode is a positively charged metal target that attracts and accelerates the electrons in the x-ray tube. This acceleration results in the production of high energy x-rays.

As for your second question, you are correct in saying that the energy of the K-shell x-rays is the same for all atoms. However, the characteristic spectrum of an element will also contain unique peaks from the L, M, and other shells, which have slightly different energies. By analyzing the specific energies and intensities of these peaks, scientists can identify the element that produced the x-rays. Additionally, the characteristic spectrum can also provide information about the electron configuration of the atom, which can further aid in identifying the element. I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Best regards, a scientist.

Related to WHen x-rays hit the anode is it true that they become accelerated

1. Is it true that x-rays become accelerated when they hit the anode?

Yes, it is true that x-rays become accelerated when they hit the anode. X-rays are created when electrons from a heated cathode are accelerated towards the anode. When these electrons hit the anode, they release energy in the form of x-rays, which are further accelerated towards the patient or detector.

2. How do x-rays become accelerated at the anode?

X-rays become accelerated at the anode due to the high voltage difference between the cathode and anode. When electrons are accelerated towards the anode, they gain kinetic energy and release it in the form of x-rays upon impact. This process is known as Bremsstrahlung radiation.

3. Are all x-rays accelerated at the anode?

No, not all x-rays are accelerated at the anode. Only x-rays that are produced through the Bremsstrahlung process, as described above, are accelerated at the anode. X-rays that are produced through other processes, such as characteristic radiation, do not undergo acceleration at the anode.

4. Does the angle of incidence affect the acceleration of x-rays at the anode?

Yes, the angle of incidence does affect the acceleration of x-rays at the anode. X-rays that strike the anode at a steeper angle will undergo more acceleration compared to those that strike at a shallower angle. This is due to the change in direction and speed of the electrons upon impact.

5. What is the purpose of accelerating x-rays at the anode?

The purpose of accelerating x-rays at the anode is to increase their energy and penetration capabilities. This allows for better imaging of dense tissues and structures within the body. Additionally, higher energy x-rays can also be used in radiation therapy to treat cancerous cells.