When will I get total reflection?

• Thread starter CH1991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, total reflection is a phenomenon where a light ray is completely reflected back into its original medium without any transmission into another medium. It occurs when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle and the light is traveling from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index. The critical angle is the angle at which total reflection occurs and it is dependent on the refractive indices of the two mediums. Total reflection has various real-life applications and can occur with all types of light.
CH1991

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/JElvT.png

JElvT.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When will I get total reflection? sin(theta)>1?

Attachments

• 12.png
    12.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the direction of the light ray change when it traverses a plan-parallel slab?

ehild

It does,I guess...

And how much does it change? Can you follow the ray by applying Snell's Law?

ehild

Thank you!

Related to When will I get total reflection?

1. What is total reflection?

Total reflection, also known as total internal reflection, is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray traveling through a medium reaches the boundary with another medium and is completely reflected back into the original medium without any transmission into the second medium.

2. What is the condition for total reflection to occur?

In order for total reflection to occur, the light must be traveling from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index, and the angle of incidence must be greater than the critical angle.

3. What is the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the refracted ray would have an angle of refraction of 90 degrees, resulting in total reflection. It is calculated using Snell's Law and is dependent on the refractive indices of the two mediums.

4. What are some real-life applications of total reflection?

Total reflection is used in various applications such as optical fibers for telecommunication, binoculars and periscopes, and diamond cutting tools. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of many optical instruments and devices.

5. Can total reflection occur with all types of light?

Yes, total reflection can occur with all types of light, including visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. It is a fundamental property of light and does not depend on the wavelength.