When two resistors are in parallel....(rational functions)

In summary, when two resistors are connected in parallel, their combined resistance is given by a formula where the inverse of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the inverses of the individual resistances. When one resistor is increased by 1 unit and the other is decreased by 1 unit, the change in resistance can be computed by subtracting the final resistance from the initial resistance.
eleventhxhour
When two resistors, \(\displaystyle s\) and \(\displaystyle t\), are connected in parallel, their combined resistance, \(\displaystyle R\), is given by \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{R}\) = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{s}\) + \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{t}\)

If \(\displaystyle s\) is increased by 1 unit and \(\displaystyle t\) is decreased by 1 unit, what is the change in \(\displaystyle R\)?(I'm not really sure how to do this...help would be appreciated! Thanks.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would first solve for $R$ and call this $R_i$, or the initial resistance. The substitute $s+1$ for $s$ and $t-1$ for $t$ in that expression and call that $R_f$, or the final resistance. Then compute the change in the resistance by:

\(\displaystyle \Delta R=R_f-R_i\)

Related to When two resistors are in parallel....(rational functions)

What is the formula for calculating the total resistance of two resistors in parallel?

The formula for calculating the total resistance of two resistors in parallel is (1/R) = (1/R1) + (1/R2), where R is the total resistance and R1 and R2 are the individual resistances of the two resistors.

How do you determine the equivalent resistance of two resistors in parallel?

To determine the equivalent resistance of two resistors in parallel, you can use the formula R = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2), where R1 and R2 are the individual resistances of the two resistors.

What is the purpose of connecting two resistors in parallel?

The purpose of connecting two resistors in parallel is to decrease the total resistance in a circuit. This allows for more current to flow through the circuit, increasing its overall efficiency.

What happens to the total resistance when two resistors are connected in parallel?

When two resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance decreases. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance in the circuit.

How do you calculate the current flowing through each resistor in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the current flowing through each resistor in a parallel circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. You can also use Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction.