When to use gradient and when to use only one coordinate

In summary, the method for finding acceleration or resistance from a graph depends on the definition of the physical quantity being calculated. While acceleration is represented by the gradient of the tangent, resistance is found by dividing the voltage difference by the current. This is because the resistivity is equal to the voltage gradient divided by the current density.
FaroukYasser
Hi,
I was wandering, sometimes in physics, to get acceleration from a velocity time graph, you would have to find the gradient of the tangent of the curve. But in other graphs like say Voltage current graph, if you want to find the resistance at any point (Which is V/I) you simply take the coordinate of that point and just divide Voltage by Current. Why is it that we took there the gradient of a tangent and here just the coordinates although in both the Gradient represented acceleration and Resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the definition of the physical quantity you're trying to calculate. resistance is defined as R =V/I while acceleration is defined as a=Δv/Δt.

FaroukYasser said:
Hi,
I was wandering, sometimes in physics, to get acceleration from a velocity time graph, you would have to find the gradient of the tangent of the curve. But in other graphs like say Voltage current graph, if you want to find the resistance at any point (Which is V/I) you simply take the coordinate of that point and just divide Voltage by Current. Why is it that we took there the gradient of a tangent and here just the coordinates although in both the Gradient represented acceleration and Resistance.

In the case of voltage, resistance, and current, you don't divide the voltage by the current, you divided the voltage difference across the resistor by the current. The voltage difference across the resistor is equal to the voltage gradient times the length of the resistor. The resistance divided by the length of the resistor is equal to the resistivity times the cross sectional area. So the resistivity is equal to the voltage gradient divided by the current density.

chet

Related to When to use gradient and when to use only one coordinate

1. When should I use gradient instead of just one coordinate?

Gradient should be used when you want to describe the rate of change of a function in multiple dimensions. It is useful for finding the direction and magnitude of the steepest uphill or downhill slope of a function.

2. How do I know if I need to use gradient or just one coordinate?

If you are working with a function that has multiple variables or dimensions, then you will likely need to use gradient. If you are only working with a single variable or dimension, then using just one coordinate will suffice.

3. Can I use gradient and one coordinate together?

Yes, you can use gradient and one coordinate together. Gradient provides information about the slope in multiple dimensions, while one coordinate can be used to specify a specific point on the function.

4. What are the benefits of using gradient over just one coordinate?

The main benefit of using gradient is that it provides more detailed information about the slope of a function in multiple dimensions. This can be useful in optimizing functions or solving optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using gradient over just one coordinate?

One limitation of using gradient is that it can be more complex and time-consuming to calculate compared to using just one coordinate. Additionally, gradient may not be as useful when working with functions that have a small number of dimensions or variables.