When to hyphenate and when not to hyphenate?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, federally funded program is redundant because federally is an adverb and can only apply to the verb funded.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I do a fair amount of amateur copy editing and often come across terms that look to me like they should be hyphenated, but what's the rule on that? (My Strunk & White is packed away.)

I just saw a TV commercial that talked about "a federally funded program". I might consider hyphenating that, but is there more to it than just personal preference?

Science news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I do a fair amount of amateur copy editing and often come across terms that look to me like they should be hyphenated, but what's the rule on that? (My Strunk & White is packed away.)

I just saw a TV commercial that talked about "a federally funded program". I might consider hyphenating that, but is there more to it than just personal preference?
You don't have to hyphenate in that case because federally is an adverb and, in this case, qualifies the adjective funded. It's unambiguous, therefore, that it's the funding that's federal.

If you had "federal funded program", then the program would be federal and funded. Whereas, a "federal-funded" programme is not necessarily federal but is funded federally.

PS although grammatically it would be better to take a different example. Such as "red-rimmed glasses"; as opposed to "poorly fitting glasses".

Likes scottdave and berkeman
So, in an adjective-adjective-noun sequence, the hyphen indicates that adjective-1 qualifies only adjective-2, and not the noun...

"red rimmed glasses" denotes glasses that are both red and rimmed
"red-rimmed glasses" denotes glasses that are merely rimmed with red

(Though, I guess, to be pedantic, the former should be "red, rimmed glasses"?)

And you're saying "federally-funded program" is redundant because "federally" is an adverb and thus can only apply to the verb "funded".

Likes PeroK
DaveC426913 said:
And you're saying "federally-funded program" is redundant because "federally" is an adverb and thus can only apply to the verb "funded".
An adverb may describe not only a verb, but an adjective or another adverb. E.g.

Terribly hot day.

He talked very quietly.

Ps "funded" here is a verbal adjective.

Likes DaveC426913
One of my favourite grammatical constructions is the adjectival phrase. E.g. on that never-to-be-forgotten day".

Likes gmax137
I use Grammarly and it gave the following

never-to-be-forgotten day
federally funded program
federal funded program; although recommended changing federal to federally.
red-rimmed glasses

Likes berkeman

1. When should I use a hyphen in compound words?

Hyphens are used in compound words when they are used as adjectives before a noun, such as "well-known author" or "high-quality product." They are also used when two words are combined to form a new word, such as "self-esteem" or "mother-in-law."

2. Can I hyphenate words in any way I want?

No, there are specific rules for hyphenation. Generally, a hyphen is used to connect two or more words that act as a single concept or modifier. It is not used to connect words that are already considered a single word, such as "football" or "birthday."

3. Do I need to hyphenate all compound words?

No, not all compound words require hyphens. Some compound words have become so commonly used that they are now considered one word, such as "firefighter" or "airplane." It is important to consult a dictionary to determine if a compound word should be hyphenated or not.

4. Should I hyphenate words at the end of a line?

It is generally not recommended to hyphenate words at the end of a line, as it can disrupt the flow and readability of the text. However, in some cases, it may be necessary to avoid awkward spacing or to prevent a single letter from being left on a line by itself.

5. Is it ever okay to use a hyphen instead of a dash?

While a hyphen and a dash may look similar, they serve different purposes. A hyphen is used to connect words, while a dash is used to indicate a pause or break in a sentence. It is important to use the correct punctuation mark in order to convey the intended meaning.