When is the best time to do physics practice problems?

In summary, this student is struggling to find time to do practice problems for physics. He has a hectic schedule and is only able to do problems on Saturdays and Sundays. He recommends adding in some practice problems during the review of physics notes.
john16O
physics practice problems...

when do you guys usually find time to do practice problems...i mean, between having 3 labs and A LOT of other reading to do I am having trouble finding time to do practice problems for physics(1st college physics course)...I usually just read through the physics text trying to grasp the main concepts and then its time to go to class or finish homework assignments for other classes...I am trying as hard as I can to keep my Fridays and Saturdays workload relatively easy, but I am starting to get the feeling that I might have to just suck it up and do physics...I know right, fun life??

Physics news on Phys.org

If you don't work problems, you won't learn the material. If you have too much work to do this, I would suggest dropping a class so you can be sure to get the most out of the classes you stay with.

What is your schedule like? How many classes are you taking this quarter/semester?

I usualy find time either in the early morning, in between classes or later in the evening on the weekdays so that my weekends are free.

6am-8am: Workout
8:30am-9:00: Breakfeast
9:00am-9:45am: Review Notes
10:00-10:50: Physics
11:00-11:50: Organic Chem
12:00-12:50: Free Period
1:00-2:15: Read for my poly sci class
2:30-3:45: Poly Sci
4:00-4:50: Genetics
5:00-7:00: Review Notes and Eat Dinner
7:20- 9:30: Physics Lab
9:30- whenever: Look over notes for the next set of classes

this is what my schedule is MTF

There seems to be plenty of note-reviewing and looking over notes. Obviously you need to do these things but perhaps do them in conjunction with problems - if you're looking over notes for classes the night before and then actually sitting in a class and taking the notes, you probably have a good grasp of the concepts. An hour in the morning and an hour round-about dinner then, doing problems, is going to cement the concepts in itself. Since you're going to labs at 7:20pm! (shocked!) you've obviously got a lot on your plate -- might be worth spending a few hours on sunday doing problems for your classes

I agree. You should add in some practice problems during the time you review our physics notes. That way you can practice applying the problems as you learn them.

thanks for the advice! when i do read my physics text there usually is some kind of example word problem that i work through, but they seem sooooo easy in comparison to what my professor puts on his exams...i think that it all comes down to just spending 3-4 hours on saturday and 2-3 hours on sunday...

Related to When is the best time to do physics practice problems?

1. What are physics practice problems?

Physics practice problems are exercises or questions designed to help students apply their knowledge of physics principles and concepts. These problems often involve real-world scenarios and require students to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to arrive at a solution.

2. Why are physics practice problems important?

Practice problems are an essential part of learning physics as they help students develop a deeper understanding of the subject. By solving these problems, students can apply the theories and formulas they have learned in class to practical situations, which can improve their problem-solving abilities and prepare them for exams.

3. How can I find physics practice problems to work on?

There are many resources available for finding physics practice problems. Your textbook may have a section dedicated to practice problems, or you can search online for practice problem sets or worksheets. Additionally, many physics study guides and review books also include practice problems.

4. What is the best approach to solving physics practice problems?

The best approach to solving physics practice problems is to first understand the underlying concepts and principles involved. Then, carefully read and analyze the given information before identifying the relevant formula or equation to use. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to visualize the problem. Finally, always check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How often should I practice physics problems?

It is recommended to practice physics problems regularly, ideally after each concept or topic is covered in class. This will not only help reinforce your understanding of the material but also allow you to identify any areas where you may need additional practice or review. Additionally, practicing consistently will help you build your problem-solving skills and improve your overall performance in physics.