When is net torque equal to 0?

In summary, the net torque is equal to zero when the sum of all clockwise and counterclockwise torques is equal to zero. In the given diagram, only diagram D satisfies this condition, with all forces being perpendicular to the distance (r) and resulting in a net torque of zero.
jaded18
when is net torque equal to 0??

Each of the four bars shown can rotate freely in the horizontal plane about its left end. For which diagrams is the net torque equal to zero?
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1003642/26/170580B.jpg
_____
i know that for torque to equal O angular momentum = I(omega) is constant and conserved... but I'm having trouble applying this to the diagram ... i thought D would be part of the answer because the Newtons all cancel out ... help??

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether the force cancels out doesn't matter. Just add up all the torques from each force to get the total.

anyone else can help me? i need more to go on...

Do you know how to calculate the torque from each force? Since the forces are all perpendicular to the distance (r) it's simply T = rF. (Be sure to give clockwise and counterclockwise torques different signs.)

let's do it this way. look at diagram a. if torque = rF then torque for the four forces from left to right is 0, 6(L/4), 1(3L/4), and 7(L)?? maybe if i know how to solve for one i can do it on my own

I don't know where you got the 6 N force, I see 8 N. Maybe a typo?

Here's how I would do it. First, I'll call counter-clockwise torques positive and clockwise torques negative. Here's what I get for each force in A:
0 + 8(L/4) - 1(3L/4) - 7(L) = 2L -3L/4 - 7L = -5.75L (which is sure not zero. Next!)

Related to When is net torque equal to 0?

1. What is net torque?

Net torque, also known as total torque, is the sum of all the torques acting on an object. It is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object.

2. When is net torque equal to 0?

Net torque is equal to 0 when the sum of all the torques acting on an object is equal to 0. This can occur when the object is at rest or when the torques acting on it cancel each other out.

3. What does it mean when net torque is equal to 0?

When net torque is equal to 0, it means that the object is either at rest or in a state of constant rotational motion. In other words, there is no net force causing the object to rotate or accelerate.

4. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation at which the force is applied. The direction of the torque is determined by the direction of the force and the direction of rotation.

5. What factors affect net torque?

Net torque is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as the distance from the point of rotation at which the force is applied. The mass and shape of the object can also affect net torque.