When does the particle first cross the negative x axis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the position, velocity, speed, and acceleration of a particle represented by the equation r(->) = Rcos(omega*time)(i^) + Rsin(omega*time)(j^). The particle first crosses the negative x-axis when omega*time is equal to pi. Its velocity is expressed as v = r*omega and its speed at time t is given by Rw. The acceleration is derived as a(t) = v(t)*omega and can also be expressed as a(t) = Rw^2. The magnitude of the acceleration can be written in terms of R and v using the speed function of the particle. The trig identity of (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2 =
HeLLz aNgeL
Suppose that a particle's position is given by the expression in the attachment

Explain:
1. When does the particle first cross the negative x axis?

2. Find the particle's velocity as a function of time. Express your answer using unit vectors.(e.g., A i_unit+ B j_unit, where A and B are functions of omega, R, t, and pi).

3. Find the speed of the particle at time t. Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables.

4. Find the speed of the particle at time t. Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables omega, R, and pi.

5. Now find the acceleration of the particle. Express your answer using unit vectors (e.g., A i_unit+ B j_unit, where A and B are functions of omega, R, t, and pi).

6. Your calculation is actually a derivation of the centripetal acceleration. To see this, express the acceleration of the particle in terms of its position r_vec(t).
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables r_vec(t) and omega.

ok, i know that omega gives you the angular velocity, but i don't understand how that factors into the "i" and "j" equations... are they the x, and y-axis components ? if they are do i have to plug in values one-by-one to check when it crosses the negetive x-asis ?

i'm confused !

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 847
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    974 bytes · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
HeLLz aNgeL said:
Suppose that a particle's position is given by the expression in the attachment

Explain:
1. When does the particle first cross the negative x axis?

2. Find the particle's velocity as a function of time. Express your answer using unit vectors.(e.g., A i_unit+ B j_unit, where A and B are functions of omega, R, t, and pi).

3. Find the speed of the particle at time t. Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables.

4. Find the speed of the particle at time t. Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables omega, R, and pi.

5. Now find the acceleration of the particle. Express your answer using unit vectors (e.g., A i_unit+ B j_unit, where A and B are functions of omega, R, t, and pi).

6. Your calculation is actually a derivation of the centripetal acceleration. To see this, express the acceleration of the particle in terms of its position r_vec(t).
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables r_vec(t) and omega.

ok, i know that omega gives you the angular velocity, but i don't understand how that factors into the "i" and "j" equations... are they the x, and y-axis components ? if they are do i have to plug in values one-by-one to check when it crosses the negetive x-asis ?

i'm confused !

I am sorry,but i am not able to see the picture.

It'll cross the x-axis when omega*time is equal to pi, if that helps

FedEx said:
I am sorry,but i am not able to see the picture.

there was no picture, just the equation i attached in the first post..

HeLLz aNgeL said:
there was no picture, just the equation i attached in the first post..

I know that there is just an equation but i am not even able to see that.And by the way for posting equations try using latex.

i am seeing the picture,

and have similar questions to ask, mostly what type of circle would this represent at t= 0?

An ellipse, or circle, in positive y or x direction?Also if no one can see the formula its:

r(->) = Rcos(omega*time)(i^) + Rsin(omega*time)(j^)

Ok,I am sure that you people would be knowing differentiation.

For the first question the answer has already been given by someone.

For the second, the answer would be obtained by taking the time derivative of the equation which you already have.

For the fifth take the time derivative of the equation you are getting after solving the second question.

For the third and the fourth i think that there is some problem but still you can solve it by the scalar relations given as follows

[tex]v[/tex] = [tex]r\omega[/tex]

and

[tex]t\omega[/tex] = [tex]\theta[/tex].

Moreover while differentiating the equations you can treat [tex]t\omega[/tex] = [tex]\theta[/tex]

FedEx said:
For the third and the fourth i think that there is some problem but still you can solve it by the scalar relations given as follows

[tex]v[/tex] = [tex]r\omega[/tex]

but what would r be ?

HeLLz aNgeL said:
but what would r be ?

Sorry. Its the radius. I must have written it as R and not r.

but we don't have the radius anyhwere in the question ??

fubag: check your pm...

HeLLz aNgeL said:
but we don't have the radius anyhwere in the question ??

fubag: check your pm...

The question is asking to define in terms of omega and radius and all.And in the equation which you have written what is R? It is the radius.

does this then mean:

v = sqrt. ( (-Rwsinx)^2 + (Rwcosx)^2)

where x is equal to theta?

i also noticed that they told us a hint to look for an important trig identity.

im assuming it will most likely be (sinx)^2 + (cosx)^2= 1.
Sorry, I got it, never mind.

Last edited:
having difficulty with one more part:

Finally, express the magnitude of the particle's acceleration in terms of R and v using the expression you obtained for the speed of the particle.I am getting a = v*omega...but this isn't right it seems.

It says to express in terms of R and v (speed function of the particle)

I know that a(t) = Rw^2
and that v(t) = Rw

now if I relate them to each other shouldn't I get = v*w...?

this doesn't work however.Never mind, I got it... sorry.

Last edited:

Related to When does the particle first cross the negative x axis?

1. What is the definition of the negative x axis?

The negative x axis is a horizontal line on a graph that extends to the left of the origin, or point (0,0), on the Cartesian coordinate system. It is represented by negative values on the x-axis and is perpendicular to the positive y axis.

2. How do you determine when a particle first crosses the negative x axis?

To determine when a particle first crosses the negative x axis, you can look for the point on the graph where the particle's x-coordinate is equal to zero. This indicates that the particle has crossed the negative x axis and is now on the positive side of the x axis.

3. Can a particle cross the negative x axis more than once?

Yes, a particle can cross the negative x axis multiple times. This can happen if the particle's motion changes direction or if it follows a curved path that crosses the negative x axis at different points.

4. What factors can affect when a particle first crosses the negative x axis?

The factors that can affect when a particle first crosses the negative x axis include the particle's initial velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting upon it. The shape and slope of the particle's path can also impact when it crosses the negative x axis.

5. How does the time at which a particle crosses the negative x axis relate to its overall motion?

The time at which a particle crosses the negative x axis can provide insight into its overall motion. For example, if the particle crosses the negative x axis at a later time, it may have a slower velocity or be subject to more external forces. Additionally, the frequency at which a particle crosses the negative x axis can reveal patterns in its motion, such as periodic or irregular movement.