When does the mass first return to its equilibrium position?

In summary, we have a mass of 100 grams that stretches a spring by 5cm and is set in motion with a downward velocity of 10cm/s. With no damping, we use Newton's Law and initial conditions to find the position of the mass at any time and determine when it first returns to its equilibrium position. We must take into account gravity, Hooke's Law, and the external force acting on the mass. We ultimately solve for the displacement of the mass from equilibrium and use it to find the value of k. With this information, we can solve for the general solution to the ODE and find the time when the mass first returns to equilibrium. We find that the mass returns to equilibrium after \(\frac{\pi
alane1994
Here is my problem verbatim.

A mass weighing 100g stretches a spring 5cm. If the mass is set in motion from its equilibrium position with a downward velocity of 10cm/s, and if there is no damping, determine the position
\(u\) of the mass at any time \(t\). When does the mass first return to its equilibrium position?

For this, these are the things that I have been able to determine:

\(m=100~\text{grams}\)

\(\gamma=0\)

And I believe that we would use Newton's Law?

\(mu^{\prime\prime}(t)+\gamma u^{\prime}(t)+ku(t)=F(t)\)

And we would need initial conditions right?

\(u(0)=~?\\
u^{\prime}(0)=-10cm/s\)

I am rather stumped...:confused:EDIT:
Would \(u(0)=5\)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would orient my coordinate axis such that equilibrium is at:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=0\)

and take the positive direction to be up.

Now, you need to consider the forces acting on the mass:

Gravity:

\(\displaystyle F_1=-mg\)

Restoring force (Hooke's Law):

\(\displaystyle F_2=-ku+mg\)

Notice that when the mass is at equilibrium then the spring exerts a restoring force on the mass equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the weight of the mass.

Now apply Newton's second law:

\(\displaystyle \sum F=ma\)

\(\displaystyle -ku=m\frac{d^2u}{dt^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2u}{dt^2}+\frac{k}{m}u=0\)

Can you proceed?

MarkFL said:
I would orient my coordinate axis such that equilibrium is at:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=0\)

and take the positive direction to be up.

Now, you need to consider the forces acting on the mass:

Gravity:

\(\displaystyle F_1=-mg\)

Restoring force (Hooke's Law):

\(\displaystyle F_2=-ku+mg\)

Notice that when the mass is at equilibrium then the spring exerts a restoring force on the mass equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the weight of the mass.

Now apply Newton's second law:

\(\displaystyle \sum F=ma\)

\(\displaystyle -ku=m\frac{d^2u}{dt^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2u}{dt^2}+\frac{k}{m}u=0\)

Can you proceed?

I am looking at this, and it is quite different than the examples in the book... and I would need to solve for \(k\) right? How would I do that? I would need the displacement \(L\) of the mass from equilibrium, right? I am sorry if I seem stupid right now. I don't know why I am having such a hard time about grasping this.:(

Here is a picture from my teachers powerpoint slide.

28ch6is.jpg

And some text from the slide.
Weight: w = mg (downward force)
Spring force: Fs = - k(L+ u) (up or down force, see next slide)
Damping force: Fd(t) = - g u'(t) (up or down, see following slide)
External force: F (t) (up or down force, see text)

I guess where I am getting hung up, is that in all of the examples there is some sort of further displacement from its' equilibrium...

So for this problem I think \(L\) is 5 cm right?

To find $\dfrac{k}{m}$, we observe that the 100 gram (0.1 kg) mass stretches the spring 5 centimeters (0.05 m). Using Hooke's Law, we have:

\(\displaystyle mg=kx\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{k}{m}=\frac{g}{x}=\frac{9.8\frac{\text{m}}{ \text{s}^2}}{\frac{1}{20} \text{ m}}=196\frac{1}{\text{s}^2}\)

So, your IVP becomes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2u}{dt^2}+196u=0\) where \(\displaystyle u(0)=0\text{ m},\,u'(0)=\frac{1}{10}\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\)

And on that note...I got to run for a few hours. :D

\(u=\frac{5}{7}\sin(14t)~cm\)
\(\text{t is in seconds}\)

\(t=\dfrac{\pi}{14}s\)

The general solution to the ODE is:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=c_1\cos(14t)+c_2\sin(14t)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle u'(t)=14c_2\cos(14t)-14c_1\sin(14t)\)

Using the initial values (I should have stated earlier \(\displaystyle u'(0)=-\frac{1}{10}\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\) since the initial velocity is downward), we find:

\(\displaystyle u(0)=c_1=0\)

\(\displaystyle u'(0)=14c_2=-\frac{1}{10}\,\therefore\,c_2=-\frac{1}{140}\)

And so (in meters):

\(\displaystyle u(t)=-\frac{1}{140}\sin(14t)\)

And thus (in centimeters):

\(\displaystyle u(t)=-\frac{5}{7}\sin(14t)\)

Now, we see that:

\(\displaystyle u(t)=0\implies 14t=k\pi\implies t=\frac{k\pi}{14}\)

For $0<t$, the smallest value is then for \(\displaystyle k=1\) or:

\(\displaystyle t=\frac{\pi}{14}\text{ s}\)

You did everything correctly, I threw you off by giving you the wrong direction for the initial velocity. (Doh)

What are mechanical vibrations?

Mechanical vibrations refer to the oscillations or back-and-forth motion of an object or system about a fixed point. This can be caused by external forces or internal disturbances, and can occur in various forms such as linear, rotational, or random vibrations.

Why do mechanical vibrations occur?

Mechanical vibrations occur due to the transfer of energy from an external source to an object or system. This can be caused by forces such as wind, earthquakes, or machinery, or by internal factors such as changes in temperature or material properties.

What are the effects of mechanical vibrations?

The effects of mechanical vibrations can vary depending on the magnitude, frequency, and duration of the vibrations. Some common effects include increased stress and fatigue on materials, decreased efficiency and performance of machinery, and discomfort or damage to structures and human health.

How can mechanical vibrations be measured?

Mechanical vibrations can be measured using instruments such as accelerometers, displacement sensors, and vibration meters. These instruments can detect and quantify the amplitude, frequency, and other characteristics of the vibrations, providing valuable data for analysis and control.

How can mechanical vibrations be controlled or reduced?

There are various techniques for controlling or reducing mechanical vibrations, depending on the specific cause and situation. Some examples include adding dampers or absorbers to absorb excess energy, modifying the design or materials of a structure or machine, and implementing active or passive control systems to counteract the vibrations.