When Does the Angular Velocity of a DC Motor Reach Zero?

In summary, to find the number of revolutions the motor shaft turns through between the time when the current is reversed and the instant when the angular velocity is zero, you need to plug the time t (when the angular velocity is zero) into the angular displacement equation and convert the result from radians to revolutions. Remember that 1 revolution is equivalent to 2*pi radians.
nateshoe

Homework Statement

At t=0 the current to a dc electric motor is reversed, resulting in an angular displacement of the motor shaft given by theta (t) = ( A)t-( B)t^{2}-( C)t^{3}

At what time is the angular velocity of the motor shaft zero?

Homework Equations

quadratic

The Attempt at a Solution

I continue to be very confused by this question. I thought all I need to do was take the derivative with respect to time and then plug those coefficients into the quadratic equation.
So I get:

(2B(+/-)((4B^2+12AC)^.5))/2A

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You have interchanged the roles of A and -3C here, so your expression is not correct.
2. Which of the times you get out is not physically meaningful?

Well I got that part figured out but I can't get the next part.

How many revolutions does the motor shaft turn through between the time when the current is reversed and the instant when the angular velocity is zero?
Deltatheta=.5(w+w0)t
revolution=(1/2pi)radians
Since the final velocity is zero:
deltatheta=.5tw0
revolutions=(.5tw0)/(2pi)
w0=A
so;

=.5tA/2pi (where t is the time when angular velocity =0)

Thanks,
Nate

Question: How many revolutions does the motor shaft turn through between the time when the current is reversed and the instant when the angular velocity is zero?

Ans: Well, assuming that you found the time t when the angular velocity is zero, all you need to find out here is the revolutions between zero and that time t.

Plug in the time t into the angular displacement equation that you have, and you should get something in radian measure.

Then, the next thing that tricked me out was that I didn't know the conversion from radian to revolutions. (a simple thing, I know, but I overlooked it)

1 revolution = 2*pi radians.

Convert, and viola you have how many revolutions.

Related to When Does the Angular Velocity of a DC Motor Reach Zero?

1) What is derivation to find unknowns?

Derivation to find unknowns is a scientific method used to solve equations and determine the value of unknown variables. It involves manipulating and rearranging equations to isolate the unknown variable and find its value.

2) When is derivation to find unknowns used?

Derivation to find unknowns is used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to solve complex equations and determine the values of unknown variables. It is especially useful in situations where experimental data is limited or unavailable.

3) What are the steps involved in derivation to find unknowns?

The steps involved in derivation to find unknowns include identifying the unknown variable, gathering all known variables and equations, manipulating the equations to isolate the unknown variable, and solving for its value.

4) How accurate is derivation to find unknowns?

The accuracy of derivation to find unknowns depends on the accuracy of the known variables and equations used. If the equations and data are accurate, then the derived value of the unknown variable will also be accurate.

5) Can derivation to find unknowns be used for any type of equation?

No, derivation to find unknowns is most commonly used for linear and polynomial equations. It may not be suitable for other types of equations, such as exponential or trigonometric equations.