When do you think we will have high speed Internet

In summary: "OFDM stands for Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing and it’s a technology that has been around for a while now. It’s a way of transmitting data over a wireless network using multiple frequencies instead of just one. This means that more data can be transmitted over the network at the same time without interference from other wireless devices."In summary, the Siemens research found that data rates of up to 360 Mbps can be transmitted over a wireless network using OFDM technology.
Saint
When do you think we will have high speed Internet (>10MB download rate) everywhere (even on top of mount Everest, the artic/antartic)? Another 20 years?

What is the roadmap for internet in the next 10 years? :cool:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Personally, I think physical cables will phase out. I like wireless, everyone else does, and it's just as secure as a standard physical network (perhaps even more secure given the intrinsic encryption features it possesses). Another reason I think wireless will dominate is the simple fact it's easier to build and maintain a wireless network. Would you want to run a CAT5 cable up Mount Everest? I don't think so.

I would want to run CAT5 if it was still quicker
Its all about speed
once they get to the point where people can dl full dvd in less than 10 seconds with wireless than people will go wireless... and cable will still be around if its is faster

speed is the name of the game

Tom, the fastest wireless connection is currently at 54mbs. That's not bad considering standard CAT5 runs at 100mbs (gigabit isn't bad, either). Transferring a DVD in 10 seconds, as you said, is pretty relative. It depends on a number of things, such as whether you're transferring over a local network (in that case, a CAT5 cable would be much faster) and over the internet (which in such case it wouldn't make a difference).

By the way, not even gigabit ethernet can transfer a DVD (~ 4.3gb) in 10 seconds.

Edit: To add to the discussion, you'd be fine playing a DVD over a wireless internet connection. Considering every second of playback and the total DVD (the whole DVD wouldn't be ~ 4.3gb, anyways, remember the extra features that usually come with movies), around 54mbs would be plenty to watch a DVD.

Last edited:
We can already route traffic at ridiculus rates, the fiber backbone running throughout the world are all over Gigabit rates ( http://www.ams-ix.net/about/stats/index.html Amsterdam Internet exchange)... The problem lies with the "last mile technology" we use to access ISP's... As the protocols we use for the last mile mature and the algorithms used to put the data on the wire become more efficent, you will see last mile technologies become fatser and faster...

Cisco have already produced the "BFR" which can route traffic at over 92Tb/sec ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5763/index.html )... There "vision" is that Data and PSTN will merge as VoIP becomes more prominate, thus the "Internet" will become used for Voice and data thus more data will traverse, and end users like me and you will demand far greater speeds from our lastmile technologies...

In Northen Europe, it is not untypically to have xDSL at over 10Mb already... So the technology is there...

As for FWA (Fixed wireless access, which is not the same as WLAN) it is no where near as secure as wired access... thus if you use this for the last mile technolgy you should use IPSec or some other encryption protocol...

The "Roadmap" for the internet in IMHO is that Data and voice will merge (if sprint etc allow this to happen :-) Lucent has already jumed on the bandwaggon with the IP voice solutions under the name of avya), last mile technology will increase in speeds through exsiting copper and co-ax tenologies...

On Everest you can already download at high rates (via sattalite)...

My 2 pence :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
OFDM 360 Mb/s wireless communication

OFDM the furture of wirless communication

http://www.siemens-mobile.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,hq_en_0_67687_rArNrNrNrN_2%253A3,00.html

"At the “Mobile Internet 2010” forum held by the German Ministry of Education and Research on September 14 and 15, Siemens presented the latest results from its mobile communication research for the first time to the general public. On a test system, videos and music as well as a Microsoft NetMeeting conference were transmitted in wireless mode at data rates of up to 360 megabits per second (Mbps)."

How it works:

http://www.sss-mag.com/ofdm.html#intro

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to When do you think we will have high speed Internet

1. When will high speed Internet be available in my area?

The availability of high speed Internet depends on various factors such as location, infrastructure, and service providers. It is best to check with your local service providers for their plans and timelines for rolling out high speed Internet in your area.

2. How fast will high speed Internet be?

High speed Internet typically refers to internet speeds of 25 Mbps or higher. However, the exact speed may vary depending on your location, service provider, and the plan you choose.

3. Is high speed Internet more expensive than regular Internet?

High speed Internet plans may be slightly more expensive than regular Internet plans, but the difference in price may vary depending on your location and service provider. It is best to compare different plans and prices to find the most suitable option for your needs and budget.

4. Will high speed Internet affect my current Internet plan?

If you are currently subscribed to a regular Internet plan, upgrading to high speed Internet may require you to switch to a different plan. However, this may also depend on your service provider and current plan. It is best to inquire with your service provider for more information.

5. How does high speed Internet benefit me?

High speed Internet offers faster download and upload speeds, allowing you to browse the internet, stream content, and download files at a much faster pace. It also enables you to connect multiple devices to the internet without sacrificing speed and performance. Additionally, high speed Internet may also support advanced technologies such as virtual reality and 4K streaming.