When do reactive moments appear?

• Thread starter arestes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of reactive moments in journal bearings and other structures. The person is seeking an explanation for why these moments can sometimes be set to zero. The conversation delves into the idea of reactions occurring when motion is restricted and the use of different supports in structural problems. The difference between translational and rotational motion is also highlighted in relation to moment reactions. It is concluded that sometimes, there is simply no reaction in the first place, making the term "set to zero" misleading.
arestes
Hello:
I have some questions regarding what books say about reactive moments when dealing with journal bearings and such.
For example:http://[ATTACH=full]200072[/ATTACH] [url=http://postimage.org/][ATTACH=full]200073[/ATTACH]

What I'm looking for is an explanation as to why the moments can be set to zero. We never do that in 2 dimensions!
I would be grateful for any enlightening thoughts.
Regards

Attachments

• url].jpg
    url].jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 352
  • supports_in_3d.jpg
    supports_in_3d.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you're talking about like in (7) there for example, why would there be a reaction on the shaft if it is free to spin, neglecting friction, if there's no load?

Reactions happen when motion is restricted. Imagine all these things are made of spaghetti, what would break and what would stay intact and in which directions?

I understand force and moment reactions must appear. ( but I'm *only* talking about moment reactions).

My point is that... I don't see why SOMETIMES they appear (the text says when other supports are present they don't appear). and why this has to be so tricky.
In 2D, if we have two supports, say two hinges, force reactions always are considered and if there's not enough data, it's statically indeterminate. Here we can set *moment* ractions to zero if there are other supports... I don't understand that.

I also understand that if there's no load they shouldn't appear. But in a general structure? sometimes we don't even know if its going to be nonzero.

Try to visualize what is going on in the specific situation rather than try to follow some set of rules. Sometimes in 2d problems one support is modeled as a roller to exclude a reaction in the horizontal direction, because certain problems have more unknowns than equations and you'd need to introduce equations for the stiffness of the material to solve it. They simplify it that way before you get to material property stuff.

Look at the difference between 6 and 7. The square shaft is for translational motion and there is no reaction in the y direction. It is free to move back and forth in the y direction and happens to have no reaction in y. The circular shaft is free to rotate about the y-axis and happens to not have any moment reaction about the y axis. Noticing the pattern?

If you have hinges free to rotate there are no moment reactions

Set to 0 sounds misleading because there is no reaction in the first place

Related to When do reactive moments appear?

1. When do reactive moments typically occur?

Reactive moments can occur at any time, but they are most likely to appear when a person experiences a strong emotion, such as fear, anger, or excitement.

2. Can reactive moments be predicted?

It is difficult to predict when a reactive moment will occur, as it is dependent on a variety of factors, including the individual's emotional state and the specific situation they are in.

3. Are reactive moments the same for everyone?

No, reactive moments can vary greatly from person to person. Some individuals may have a stronger reaction to a certain situation, while others may not react at all.

4. What causes reactive moments?

Reactive moments are caused by the brain's response to an unexpected or intense stimulus. This can be a physical or emotional stimulus, such as a loud noise or a triggering memory.

5. Can reactive moments be controlled?

While it is not possible to completely control reactive moments, individuals can learn coping mechanisms and techniques to manage their reactions and reduce the intensity of these moments.