When do quantum effects become important?

In summary, quantum effects become important in gravitational calculations at a length scale below 1*10^-35m. This can be determined by combining the gravitational constant G and Planck's constant \hbar, and converting time to length units using the speed of light c. Dimensional analysis confirms this result, with a magnitude of 10^-69 for the combined units.
andyfry
At what length scale do quantum effects become important in gravitational calculations??

Physics news on Phys.org
You can figure this out from a scaling argument. The gravitational constant, G, has dimensions of (length)3(mass)-1(time)-2 or, in shorthand, L3M-1T-2. The speed of light, c, is the universal conversion between time and distance, since it has units of LT-1.

Finally, quantum effects are characterized by Planck's constant h, or more commonly used [tex]\hbar[/tex], which has units of L2M T-1. If [tex]\hbar[/tex] were zero, quantum effects would not exist, so in the limit that [tex]\hbar \rightarrow 0[/tex], the length scale where quantum effects becomes important must also go to zero. So our length scale must depend on [tex]\hbar[/tex] to a positive power.

Can you see how to combine [tex]\hbar[/tex] and [tex]G[/tex] to eliminate the mass scale? How about how to combine powers of [tex]c[/tex] with the result to convert time to length units?

Yeah, this was what I was trying to do! Thought i had solved it correctly and was just looking for confirmation. However I've now noticed I got a few dimensions confused. I'll try again...
Multiplying [tex]G[/tex] and [tex]\hbar[/tex] gives dimensions of L5T-3.
c-3 will have dimensions L-3T-3 (I believe?)
So multiplying by this gives dimensions L2
Looking at the indices (10-34*10-11(108)-3) gives a magnitute of 10-69 for L2.
So quantum effects must be taken into account below 1*10-35m!
I hope that was right... :S Dimensional analysis is pretty new to me!

Pretty sure this is correct.
Would be great if someone could just confirm please?

Quantum effects become important when dealing with very small particles such as atoms and subatomic particles. At this scale, classical mechanics fails to accurately describe the behavior of these particles and quantum mechanics must be used.

In terms of gravitational calculations, quantum effects become important at the Planck length scale, which is approximately 10^-35 meters. At this scale, the effects of gravity on particles are significant and cannot be ignored. This is where the theories of quantum mechanics and general relativity, which govern the behavior of particles and gravity respectively, must be combined to accurately describe the behavior of matter. At larger length scales, such as those we encounter in everyday life, the effects of gravity can be accurately described using classical mechanics.

Related to When do quantum effects become important?

1. When does quantum mechanics become important?

Quantum mechanics becomes important when dealing with extremely small particles, such as atoms and subatomic particles. This is because at this scale, classical mechanics is inadequate in explaining the behavior of these particles.

2. Can we observe quantum effects in our everyday lives?

No, quantum effects are typically only observed at the atomic and subatomic level. At the scale of everyday objects, classical mechanics is sufficient in explaining their behavior.

3. At what temperature do quantum effects become important?

Quantum effects become more pronounced at very low temperatures, near absolute zero. This is because at higher temperatures, thermal energy can often overpower quantum effects.

4. How do quantum effects impact technology?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in many modern technologies such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Understanding and utilizing quantum effects has led to advancements in computing, telecommunications, and medical technology.

5. Can we fully understand quantum effects?

While we have developed mathematical models and theories to describe and predict quantum effects, there is still much that we do not fully understand. The nature of quantum mechanics remains a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists.