When do I use Kinetic Energy and Momentum?

In summary, when solving for the speed of Ball #2 after a collision with Ball #1, it is important to consider the direction of the velocities and the 2-dimensional nature of the collision. While both the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations can be used to solve for the final velocities, the conservation of energy equation may yield a more accurate answer as it
halo168

Homework Statement

A billiard ball (Ball #1) moving at 5.00 m/s strikes a stationary ball (Ball #2) of
the same mass. After the collision, Ball #1 moves at a speed of 4.35 m/s. Find
the speed of Ball #2 after the collision.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Kinetic Energy
Conservation of Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Pi = Pf equation of conservation of momentum and got 0.65 m/s while the conservation of Kinetic Energy equation yielded the correct answer: 2.47 m/s. What's wrong? Why couldn't I use the momentum equation too?

Physics news on Phys.org
halo168 said:
I used the Pi = Pf equation of conservation of momentum and got 0.65 m/s while the conservation of Kinetic Energy equation yielded the correct answer: 2.47 m/s. What's wrong? Why couldn't I use the momentum equation too?

As the momenta are vectors you need to have also directions to solve it. Imagine your scenario calculated with the conservation of momentum like you did: Your formula only applies if both balls are moving in the same direction after the collision, but the first ball is faster than the second one → the first ball would have to overtake the second one. In this case you can use the conservation of energy (which is scalar and not a vector), because it is assumed that the collision between two billard balls is elastic.

Likes NascentOxygen
halo168 said:
I used the Pi = Pf equation of conservation of momentum

Did you have an angle of 90° between the two final velocities?

stockzahn said:
As the momenta are vectors you need to have also directions to solve it. Imagine your scenario calculated with the conservation of momentum like you did: Your formula only applies if both balls are moving in the same direction after the collision, but the first ball is faster than the second one → the first ball would have to overtake the second one. In this case you can use the conservation of energy (which is scalar and not a vector), because it is assumed that the collision between two billard balls is elastic.

Would the conservation of momentum equation also be valid because the quantities that I used had - (left) and + (right) signs? I assumed Ball #1 moved to the right. The question did not say whether the problem involved an elastic head-on collision so would I be right in saying that I should be using the conservation of momentum rather than the conservation of kinetic energy equation (KEi = KEf)?

Mister T said:
Did you have an angle of 90° between the two final velocities?

No, I didn't. I assumed that the masses are colliding on a flat, frictionless surface.

halo168 said:
Would the conservation of momentum equation also be valid because the quantities that I used had - (left) and + (right) signs? I assumed Ball #1 moved to the right. The question did not say whether the problem involved an elastic head-on collision so would I be right in saying that I should be using the conservation of momentum rather than the conservation of kinetic energy equation (KEi = KEf)?
The question is certainly ill-defined. You are not told whether it is a head-on collision, nor whether it is elastic. As a result, there is a range of possible answers.
To get an answer, you will need to assume one of the following:
1. It is elastic, but the collision is not head on.
2. It is inelastic, head-on, and the author made a mistake regarding which ball is moving at 4.35m/s afterwards.
You also have to assume no friction between the balls and the table.

halo168 said:
Would the conservation of momentum equation also be valid because the quantities that I used had - (left) and + (right) signs? I assumed Ball #1 moved to the right.

It is a 2D-problem, you need to take into account the velocity components perpendicular to the initial moving direction of the first ball before the collision; so it is not enough distinguishing the final values only by the sign.

halo168 said:
The question did not say whether the problem involved an elastic head-on collision so would I be right in saying that I should be using the conservation of momentum rather than the conservation of kinetic energy equation (KEi = KEf)?

Billard ball collisions are more or less elastic (not only in theory), therefore they are a commonly used for examples and exercises regarding elastic collisions. You can use the conservation of momentum for solving, but you will not get one definite answer, but an infinite number of possible solutions.

halo168 said:
If you assume the collision is in 1-dimension and the moving ball rebounds along its path, conservation of momentum will give you a velocity for ball #2. But a check of KE will indicate the two bodies have more combined KE after the collision than before. Such an answer doesn't make sense.

halo168 said:
No, I didn't. I assumed that the masses are colliding on a flat, frictionless surface.

Me, too. The 90° angle I mentioned is measured in the horizontal plane (surface of billiard ball table).

I think the intent of this problem is for you discover precisely what you are now discovering. The only way both kinetic energy and momentum can both be conserved is if it's a two-dimensional collision. Your textbook should have it all worked out, probably in a worked example, showing that the only way to conserve both momentum and energy is if the angle between the two balls' paths is 90°.

Anyway, by using energy conservation you have calculated the correct answer. If you want to do that using momentum conservation you need to consider two dimensions. Resolve the momentum vectors into x- and y-components, or draw the triangle they form. If you go the component route, when you make a choice of the orientations of the x- and y-axes it affects the amount of calculating you have to do to get to the answer.

In this diagram ##\vec{p_\ ^\ }## is the total momentum before the collision, ##\vec{p_1'}## and ##\vec{p_2'}## are the momenta of Balls #1 and #2 after the collision, respectively. Thus $$\vec{p_\ ^\ }=\vec{p_1'}+\vec{p_2'}.$$

momentum.png

halo168 said:

The easiest way to do such problems is to first go into the so-called "center of mass" (CM) frame, which is a new coordinate system that moves at a constant velocity with respect to the original ("lab") frame and in which the initial total momentum = 0. Let ##k = 2.5## (m/sec), so that the initial velocity of ball 1 in the lab frame is ##\vec{v}_{i1} = (2k,0)## and the initial velocity of ball 2 in the lab frame is ##\vec{v}_{i2} = (0,0)##. The velocity of the origin of the CM frame is ##(k,0)##, so the initial velocities of balls 1 and 2 in the CM frame are ##\vec{v}_{i1}' = (k,0)## and ##\vec{v}_{i2}' = (-k,0)##. If ##\theta \in (-\pi,\pi]## is the deflection angle of ball 1 in the CM frame, the final (post-collision) velocities in the CM frame are ##\vec{v}_{f1}' = (k \cos(\theta), k \sin(\theta))## and ##\vec{v}_{f2}' = (- k \cos(\theta), - k \sin(\theta))## if the collision is elastic. Note that total momentum and kinetic energies are preserved automatically, for any value of ##\theta##.

For a head-on collision we would have ##\theta = \pi##, so ##\vec{v}_{f1}' = (-k,0)##, meaning that ##\vec{v}_{f1} = (-k,0) + (k,0) = (0,0)## in the lab frame; that is, ball 1 would come to rest, and ball 2 would continue forward at speed 2k = 5.0 m/s. This does not match the given problem conditions, so the collision cannot be head-on if it is elastic. However, for general ##\theta## we have ##\vec{v}_{f1} = (k,0) + (k \cos(\theta), k \sin(\theta)) = k (1 + \cos(\theta), \sin(\theta))## in the lab frame. The terminal speed of ball 1 in the lab frame is ##s_{f1} = k \sqrt{(1 + \cos (\theta))^2 + \sin^2 (\theta)} = k \sqrt{2} \sqrt{1 + \cos (\theta)} = 4.35## m/sec. Thus, we have
[tex] \sqrt{1 + \cos (\theta)} = \frac{4.35}{2.5 \sqrt{2}} \Rightarrow \cos(\theta) = 0.5138000000 = 0.5138 [/tex]
There are, of course, two values for ##\theta##, corresponding to an upward or downward deflection through the same angle.

Once you know ##\theta## you can evaluate ##\vec{v}_{f2}'## (CM) and from that get ##\vec{v}_{f2}## (lab) and the speed ##s_{f2} = |\vec{v}_{f2}|## in the lab frame. You can also find the angle of deflection of ball 1 in the lab frame. Can you see how?

Last edited:

Related to When do I use Kinetic Energy and Momentum?

1. When do I use kinetic energy and momentum in a physical system?

Kinetic energy and momentum are used in a physical system when there is motion involved. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while momentum is the quantity of motion an object has. Both are important in understanding and analyzing the behavior of objects in motion.

2. What is the difference between kinetic energy and momentum?

Kinetic energy and momentum are related concepts, but they measure different aspects of an object's motion. Kinetic energy is a scalar quantity that depends on an object's mass and speed, while momentum is a vector quantity that depends on an object's mass and velocity. In other words, kinetic energy is a measure of how much energy an object has due to its motion, while momentum is a measure of how much motion an object has.

3. How do I calculate kinetic energy and momentum?

Kinetic energy can be calculated by using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the object's mass and v is its velocity. Momentum can be calculated by using the equation p = m * v, where p is the object's momentum, m is its mass, and v is its velocity. It is important to note that both kinetic energy and momentum are dependent on the object's mass and velocity.

4. In what situations is kinetic energy more useful than momentum?

Kinetic energy is more useful than momentum when dealing with situations where the object's speed is more important than its direction of motion. For example, in a car accident, the amount of kinetic energy involved would be more relevant than the car's momentum. Additionally, kinetic energy is often used in calculations involving work and energy, while momentum is more useful in analyzing collisions and interactions between objects.

5. Is there a relationship between kinetic energy and momentum?

Yes, there is a relationship between kinetic energy and momentum. In fact, momentum is directly related to kinetic energy, as shown by the equation p = √(2mKE), where p is momentum, m is mass, and KE is kinetic energy. This means that as an object's kinetic energy increases, its momentum also increases. However, it is important to note that this relationship is not linear, as kinetic energy is dependent on the square of an object's velocity, while momentum is directly proportional to velocity.