Wheastone Bridge Homework: Compute i1 and i2

• Thread starter kexanie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, the given circuit in Figure a) is a Wheastone Bridge, resulting in i1 = \frac{20}{9} A and i2 = 0. However, the circuit in Figure b) is not equivalent to Figure a) due to the current through the vertical wire not being equal to i2. This can be understood by considering the Nodal Law and observing that the values of i2 in both circuits are not identical."
kexanie

Homework Statement

Compute i1 and i2 in Figure a). R3 = R4 = 6Ω, and R5 = R6 = 12Ω.

Homework Equations

KVL and KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

Since R3 / R5 = R4 / R6 , it's a Wheastone Bridge and i2 = 0, and i1 = [itex]\frac{20}{9}[/itex] A.

But my question is, why circuit in Figure b) is not equivalent to circuit in Figure a) when a) is a Wheastone Bridge?

Attachments

• Diagram1.png
    Diagram1.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kexanie said:

Homework Statement

Compute i1 and i2 in Figure a). R3 = R4 = 6Ω, and R5 = R6 = 12Ω.

Homework Equations

KVL and KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

Since R3 / R5 = R4 / R6 , it's a Wheastone Bridge and i2 = 0, and i1 = [itex]\frac{20}{9}[/itex] A.

But my question is, why circuit in Figure b) is not equivalent to circuit in Figure a) when a) is a Wheastone Bridge?

The current through the vertical wire between the two pairs of parallel resistances is not equal to I2. Consider the Nodal Law. What is I2 in a) and what is it in b). Are they identical?

ehild

Related to Wheastone Bridge Homework: Compute i1 and i2

1. What is the purpose of a Wheatstone Bridge?

A Wheatstone Bridge is a circuit used to measure unknown resistances by comparing them to known resistances. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for precision measurement of resistance, capacitance, and inductance.

2. How do I calculate i1 and i2 in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

The formula for calculating the currents i1 and i2 in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit is: i1 = (V/R1) * (R2/(R2+R3)) and i2 = (V/R1) * (R3/(R2+R3)), where V is the voltage of the power supply and R1, R2, and R3 are the known resistances in the circuit.

3. What are the units for i1 and i2 in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

The units for i1 and i2 are amperes (A), which is the standard unit for electric current.

4. Is there a difference between i1 and i2 in a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

Yes, i1 and i2 represent the current flowing through different branches of the Wheatstone Bridge circuit. The values of i1 and i2 may be different depending on the values of the known resistances in the circuit.

5. Can the Wheatstone Bridge circuit be used for any type of measurement?

No, the Wheatstone Bridge circuit is specifically designed for measuring resistance, capacitance, and inductance. It cannot be used for other types of measurements such as voltage or current.