What's your opinion on my method for learning calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency and necessity of using multiple books for self-teaching calculus. The participants agree that the first book listed, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, is a great choice for a calculus textbook. However, the other two books, "A Course in Mathematical Analysis" by Shilov and "Real and Complex Analysis" by Walter Rudin, are not essential for learning calculus and may be more suitable for students with more mathematical experience. It is suggested that the individual should choose a different calculus textbook, such as "Calculus" by James Stewart, for self-study. The participants also note that Spivak's book may be difficult for someone with no prior exposure to proofs and recommend starting with
Physics news on Phys.org
The second and third books aren't at all essential for learning calculus. The second book is really just about proofs and not at all necessary for learning calculus. I'd get the first one -- which looks like a great calculus textbook -- and get the other two further down the road when you have some more mathematical experience under your belt. Real and complex analyses are far from easy subjects to learn, especially on your own. Almost all students would take those classes in the order of: calculus, then mathematical proofs and theory, real analysis and then complex analysis.

camjohn said:
The second and third books aren't at all essential for learning calculus. The second book is really just about proofs and not at all necessary for learning calculus. I'd get the first one -- which looks like a great calculus textbook -- and get the other two further down the road when you have some more mathematical experience under your belt. Real and complex analyses are far from easy subjects to learn, especially on your own. Almost all students would take those classes in the order of: calculus, then mathematical proofs and theory, real analysis and then complex analysis.

Well this wasn't my idea. I made a thread asking which calculus book was most efficient in self learning, and this guy suggested Spivak, but then another guy said that the only way I would be able to comprehend that book is with a book on proofs and real analysis, hence my selection.

Spivak as a first course in calculus, with no prior exposure to proofs, for self study? Whoever told you to do spivak was messing with you.

Yeah I've heard that Spivak is extremely theoretical and incredibly difficult; self learning through such a textbook with no prior experience to calculus or proofs would be brutal. If i were you, I'd pick another calculus textbook and go from there. Since it seems like you're looking for a more extensive and detail oriented book, I'd go with this bad boy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321587995/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read the second book, but Spivak and Shilov are great provided that you've been exposed to Calculus (at the level of, say, Calculus Made Easy). I don't believe, despite its title, that Shilov is much more difficult than Spivak; Shilov is far more intuitive than the standard intro analysis book. Also, I suspect that Shilov actually meant for his book to be an easy introduction to Calculus (else he wouldn't have included the section on the volumes of revolutions of curves about an axis).

i think you should read them to find out for yourself.

Related to What's your opinion on my method for learning calculus?

1. What makes your method for learning calculus different from other methods?

My method for learning calculus is based on hands-on practice and real-world applications. Instead of just memorizing formulas and solving abstract problems, my approach involves actively engaging with the material through practical examples and exercises.

2. Can your method be applied to all levels of calculus, from beginner to advanced?

Yes, my method can be adapted to all levels of calculus. It provides a strong foundation for beginners, while also offering more complex and challenging problems for advanced learners.

3. How much time do I need to invest in your method to see results?

The amount of time needed to see results may vary depending on the individual. However, consistent practice and application of the concepts in my method can lead to significant improvements in understanding and problem-solving abilities within a few weeks.

4. Are there any specific resources or materials required for your method?

No, my method for learning calculus does not require any specific resources or materials. However, having access to a textbook or online resources for reference and practice problems may be helpful.

5. Can your method be used in conjunction with traditional classroom instruction?

Yes, my method can be used alongside traditional classroom instruction. It can serve as a supplementary approach to reinforce and deepen understanding of the material covered in class.