What's wrong with my integration for the work-energy theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses trouble with an integral involved in deriving the work-energy theorem and how to get from ∫mv/√(1-v^2/c^2)dv to -mc^2(1-v^2/c^2). The suggested method is to use a u-substitution and several attempts are made before ultimately finding the correct solution. The original statement is found to be incorrect, as it is missing a square root and a constant of integration.
DiracPool
I'm having trouble with an integral involved in deriving the work-energy theorem

Homework Statement

I'm trying to get from ∫mv/√(1-v^2/c^2)dv to -mc^2(1-v^2/c^2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I start out by putting gamma on top to yield: ∫mv(1-v^2/c^2)^-1/2, then I square everything to get rid of the square root term and end up with: ∫m^2 v^2 - m^2 v^2 (v^2/c^2)dv, and then to get rid of the fractions I end up with: ∫c^2 m^2 v^2 - m^2 v^4dv, which, when I try to integrate, gets me no where close to the answer. What am I doing wrong? Should I be doing a U-substitution or chain rule?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
I'm having trouble with an integral involved in deriving the work-energy theorem
I'm trying to get from ∫mv/√(1-v^2/c^2)dv to -mc^2(1-v^2/c^2).
Here, let me help,
$$\int \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\;dv \rightarrow -mc^2\left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right) $$... you are trying to work the maths from the LHS to the RHS.
Should I be doing a U-substitution or chain rule?
... yes :)

try ##u=v/c## to start with.

Simon Bridge said:
Here, let me help,
$$\int \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\;dv \rightarrow -mc^2\left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right) $$... you are trying to work the maths from the LHS to the RHS.
... yes :)

try ##u=v/c## to start with.

Ok, now I see.. If I take U=1-v^2/c^2, then I get dU/dx=-2v/c^2, and then just follow the protocol, and sure enough, there's the right answer.

Thanks Simon!

Well done - you usually want to look for some sort of substitution for the bit that gives you problems.
Don't be frightened to try several different ones.

Since you will be doing a lot of this, it is best practice to learn LaTeX :)

To be fair one should say that the original statement is not correct. There's a square root missing in the given result of the integral!

Also, since the integral on the left is an indefinite integral, there should be an added "constant of integration". What you are trying to prove simply isn't true!

Related to What's wrong with my integration for the work-energy theorem?

1. What is the work-energy theorem integral?

The work-energy theorem integral is a mathematical representation of the relationship between work and energy. It states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How is the work-energy theorem integral derived?

The work-energy theorem integral is derived from the fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the definition of work as force multiplied by displacement. It can also be derived from the principle of conservation of energy.

3. What is the formula for the work-energy theorem integral?

The formula for the work-energy theorem integral is W = ∫Fdx, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and dx is the displacement. This can also be written as W = ∆K, where ∆K is the change in kinetic energy.

4. What is the significance of the work-energy theorem integral?

The work-energy theorem integral is significant because it allows us to understand the relationship between work and energy in a mathematical way. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to solve problems involving the motion of objects.

5. How is the work-energy theorem integral applied in real-world scenarios?

The work-energy theorem integral is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the work done by a car's engine to accelerate, determining the energy output of a roller coaster, or analyzing the efficiency of machines. It is also used in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and physics to understand and predict the motion of objects.