What's the most basic science?

• Thread starter itallcomestoenergy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Computer scientists, as the name suggests, likely study something related to computers, as well. Or perhaps, there is a branching within computer science similar to a branching in mathematics: applied math and pure math.
itallcomestoenergy
As Einstein said; If you want to find out how the universe works, you have to study nature. What subject do you think is the most fundamental for further understanding? I am talking about physics, chemistry or biology. Is it possible to conclude on what's the most important field of knowledge?

Physics news on Phys.org
itallcomestoenergy said:
As Einstein said; If you want to find out how the universe works, you have to study nature. What subject do you think are the most fundamental for further understanding? I am talking about physics, chemistry or biology. Is it possible to conclude on what's the most important field of knowledge?
There IS no "most important field of study". It depends on your interests.

Likes QuantumQuest, symbolipoint and BillTre
phinds said:
There IS no "most important field of study". It depends on your interests.
Pardon my grammar. If you get me right; of all the knowledge we have up to date is there a field that is recommended to start with to get further understanding of how things work?

Last edited:
itallcomestoenergy said:
Pardon my grammar. If you get me right; of all the knowledge we have up to date; is there a field that is recommended to start with to get further understanding of how things work?
Math.

phinds said:
Math.
I see, the most universal language :D

I'd say logic - the techniques that allow one to conclude statements from assumed ones. It's imperative for mathematics and I imagine it's important for any science that draws from math, such as physics.

purity.png

• Haha
Likes DrGreg, DennisN, pinball1970 and 5 others
itallcomestoenergy said:
Pardon my grammar. If you get me right; of all the knowledge we have up to date is there a field that is recommended to start with to get further understanding of how things work?
I would say mathematics is the most fundamental. Maths is the subject that can stand on its own. Physicists definitely require maths, and also chemistry sometimes. Chemists require both physics and maths (think of spectroscopy). Biologists require a bit less maths than physicists do, but they require physics and chemistry to large extents (think of MRI - it's actually NMR, which is again a combination of physics and chemistry).

Likes itallcomestoenergy and symbolipoint
The picture in post #7 represents the general relationship among those sciences well.

Not clear just what is or how to define Mathematics, but Physics is a most or the most basic science but one should understand that it is focused on Matter, Energy, and the relations among them.

The sciences can be divided into the physical, the biological, and the behavioral.

symbolipoint said:
Not clear just what is or how to define Mathematics
That's why it's abstract. We (scientists excluding mathematicians) study the "applied" parts, but mathematicians are mostly interested in the sections which cannot be defined in practical terms.

Wrichik Basu said:
That's why it's abstract. We (scientists excluding mathematicians) study the "applied" parts, but mathematicians are mostly interested in the sections which cannot be defined in practical terms.
Take another step. Computer Science makes something practical for Mathematics. C.S. is a way to mechanize or automate things about parts of Mathematics. But then, is Computer Science Mathematics, or is it Technology? In this direction, is Computer Science any part of Sociology-Psychology-Biology-Chemistry-Physics?

Likes Wrichik Basu
I don't regard myself an expert in computer science, but from what I understand a computer scientist's (abstract) object of interest is a Turing machine. What can Turing machines do or how does one make a Turing machine do something specific? That all seems very math-like to me: study of classes of abstract objects.

Computer scientists, as the name suggests, likely study something related to computers, as well. Or perhaps, there is a branching within computer science similar to a branching in mathematics: applied math and pure math.

What is the definition of basic science?

Basic science is a branch of science that focuses on fundamental principles and theories, seeking to understand the underlying mechanisms of natural phenomena. It is also known as pure or fundamental science and does not have immediate practical applications.

What are the main branches of basic science?

The main branches of basic science include physics, chemistry, biology, and earth science. Each of these branches studies different aspects of the natural world, from the smallest particles to the largest ecosystems.

What makes basic science different from applied science?

Basic science is primarily concerned with expanding our knowledge and understanding of the natural world, while applied science uses this knowledge to develop practical solutions and technologies. Basic science often serves as the foundation for applied science, as new discoveries and theories can lead to advancements in technology and medicine.

How does basic science contribute to society?

Basic science contributes to society in several ways. It provides a deeper understanding of the world around us, which can lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as medicine and environmental conservation. It also helps to train the next generation of scientists and fosters critical thinking skills.

What are some examples of basic science research?

Some examples of basic science research include studying the behavior of subatomic particles in physics, the structure and properties of molecules in chemistry, the evolution of species in biology, and the formation of rocks and minerals in earth science. These are just a few of the countless topics that fall under the umbrella of basic science.