What's the inverse of conductance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the inverse of conductance, which is resistance with units of Ohms (Ω) in the SI system. The reciprocal of electric conductance is the resistance and can be easily found through sources such as Google.
carlasofb
I'm doing an experiment today in class and I just wanted to know what's the inverse of conductance (expressed in S) and its units in the SI system.

Thanks for viewing!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm doing an experiment at university today and I just wanted to know what's the inverse of conductance (expressed in S) and its units in the SI system.
Thanks!

Hi, I'm doing an experiment in class today and I just wanted to know what's the inverse of electric conductance (expressed in S) and its units in the SI system.
Thanks!

Conductance is the inverse of Resistance which is in units of Ohms ( or volts/amps).

Yes, I agree. I want to know the inverse of conductance. You know, if conductance was S, I want to know what's the name and units of 1/S.

I guess it's the resistance (?)

The reciprocal of electric conductance is the resistance, with unit of ohm, (Ω).

ehild

Thank you so much, it's easy, but sometimes I tend to complicate stuff!

Cut out the middleman and go straight to Google - thence http://linearcircuitry.com/ResistanceAndConductance.html
and many others.
Good luck with your Science.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What's the inverse of conductance?

1. What is conductance?

Conductance is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity. It is the inverse of resistance, and is measured in units of siemens (S).

2. What is the inverse of conductance?

The inverse of conductance is resistance, which is measured in units of ohms (Ω). This means that as conductance increases, resistance decreases, and vice versa.

3. How is conductance calculated?

Conductance is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the resistance value, using the formula G = 1/R. It can also be calculated by measuring the current and voltage of a material and using the formula G = I/V.

4. What is the relationship between conductance and conductivity?

Conductance and conductivity are related, as they both measure a material's ability to conduct electricity. While conductance is the inverse of resistance, conductivity is the inverse of resistivity and is measured in units of siemens per meter (S/m).

5. How does temperature affect conductance?

Temperature can affect conductance in some materials. In metals, for example, an increase in temperature can lead to an increase in conductance, as the atoms vibrate more and allow for easier flow of electrons. However, in semiconductors, an increase in temperature can decrease conductance, as it can create more barriers for electron flow.