What's the highest level of math that math majors take at college?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: But in my math degree you could, if you were considered a good student, take some masters level courses as an undergraduate. By "masters level courses" do you mean courses that count towards the graduate degree? My university doesn't let undergraduates take such classes precisely because you can't get the degree without the prerequisites. I meant - I was one of 3 undergrads in a graduate level course. It was me, my friend and a math major. There were more graduate students.In summary, the highest level of math that high school students take is AP Calculus BC, but in college, there are many different directions for the highest level of math with subjects like abstract algebra and differential geometry being independent.
Math10
For example, the highest level of math that high school senior takes in high school is AP Calculus BC. But what's the highest level of math that math majors take in college? How about for engineering majors in college?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:
For example, the highest level of math that high school senior takes in high school is AP Calculus BC. But what's the highest level of math that math majors take in college? How about for engineering majors in college?

Mathematics in high school is linearly ordered, for example you need to take algebra before calculus, and calculus is (usually) the end of the road.

Things are very different in college. Sure, many subjects have prerequisites, but you cannot neatly order the subjects anymore. Things like abstract algebra and differential geometry are pretty independent. You can take both at the same time, or you can take one much later than the other (or not at all). So in fact, there are highest levels of math is many directions, there is not just one level of math that is the highest. For example, set theory and forcing might be one "highest level class", but "algebraic geometry" might be another.

Also note that after a while, you are expected to self-study subjects, they don't get taught anymore.

I see what you mean. Thank you.

As to the engineering part of your question: it depends. Obviously, the average engineering student isn't going to learn as much math as a math major. However, the amount of math that an engineering student learns is going to vary a lot depending on the school, the specific program (e.g. civil, mechanical, electrical), and the student's own interest in mathematics.

Also, I should note that it's a little misleading to talk about which subject engineers and math majors learn. In my electrical engineering curriculum, I learned complex analysis, but I didn't dive nearly as deep into the theorems/proofs as a math major would. Loosely, engineers are interested in how they can use theorems to solve problems, while mathematicians are interested in discovering and proving new theorems.

Last edited:
From what I have seen, an electrical engineering major (which usually requires more math than others) needs the same math as a physics major. Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. Often another math class or two can be taken for interest or specialty like Partial Differential Equations, Discrete Mathematics, Statistics, etc.

Thank you, guys.

It's virtually unlimited.

But in my math degree you could, if you were considered a good student, take some masters level courses as an undergraduate. The toughest at my school at that time was what was called Analysis B which was on the applications of Hilbert spaces.

No one really wanted to do it but in my year me and two friends of mine turned up for it. Normally the lecturer discouraged students from taking it due to its difficulty but was happy with the three of us. BTW it was no where near as hard as its reputation and the areas covered were mostly what we three wanted which centred around applications to numerical analysis - but we did other stuff as well.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba, how could your school justify holding a class for only three students registered? Does any university allow this for graduate level or other highly advanced courses?

I see what you mean, bhobba. Thanks.

micromass said:
Mathematics in high school is linearly ordered, for example you need to take algebra before calculus, and calculus is (usually) the end of the road.

Things are very different in college. Sure, many subjects have prerequisites, but you cannot neatly order the subjects anymore. Things like abstract algebra and differential geometry are pretty independent. You can take both at the same time, or you can take one much later than the other (or not at all). So in fact, there are highest levels of math is many directions, there is not just one level of math that is the highest. For example, set theory and forcing might be one "highest level class", but "algebraic geometry" might be another.

Also note that after a while, you are expected to self-study subjects, they don't get taught anymore.

I realize we're talking "highest" and not "most difficult," so this is all true.

But I think the general consensus among undergraduates is that Analysis is the most difficult math class you will take as an undergraduate, best postponed as long as possible for "mathematical maturity" reasons.

-Dave K

bhobba said:
It's virtually unlimited.

But in my math degree you could, if you were considered a good student, take some masters level courses as an undergraduate.

Yes, that's true of course. Not at all uncommon for undergraduates to do this. Lots of people also just sit in/audit graduate classes. There are also classes that are split between grads and undergrads.

symbolipoint said:
bhobba, how could your school justify holding a class for only three students registered? Does any university allow this for graduate level or other highly advanced courses?

Sounds like he meant himself and two other undergraduates in a graduate course, and there were likely other graduate students in the course.

dkotschessaa said:
Yes, that's true of course. Not at all uncommon for undergraduates to do this. Lots of people also just sit in/audit graduate classes. There are also classes that are split between grads and undergrads.

Sounds like he meant himself and two other undergraduates in a graduate course, and there were likely other graduate students in the course.

Maybe I did misunderstand.

Related to What's the highest level of math that math majors take at college?

What is the highest level of math that math majors take at college?

The highest level of math that math majors take at college varies depending on the school and program, but it is typically at least through differential equations and multivariable calculus.

Do all math majors have to take the same highest level of math?

No, the highest level of math required for math majors can vary from school to school and within different math programs. Some may require additional courses such as real analysis or abstract algebra.

Is the highest level of math for math majors the same for all types of math majors?

No, different types of math majors (such as pure math, applied math, or statistics) may have different highest levels of math required. It is important to check with the specific program to determine the requirements.

What are some common topics covered in the highest level of math for math majors?

Topics covered in the highest level of math for math majors may include advanced calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, real analysis, topology, and differential geometry.

Is the highest level of math for math majors necessary for all math-related careers?

No, the highest level of math for math majors may not be necessary for all math-related careers. Some careers may require a specific type of math knowledge, while others may not require advanced math at all. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career path.